Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 06:53 AM

We are booked on the January 10, 2008 World Cruise with http://Princess.com

102 days
42 Ports of Call
Departure: Ft. Lauderdale
Grand Cayman, Panama Canal, South Pacific, Orient, India, Dubai, Suez Canal, Egypt, Europe
Ends: England

This will be my second cruise. We are booked for 21 days for Alaska this June.

I have travelled in over 30 countries (mostly Europe) and spent about eight years outside of the US if you combine all my months traveling since age 20. I am now 50 years old. Have no idea the average age of other passengers on the World Cruise.

Has anyone written a book about 'shore excursions' for World Cruises? Seems like most ports of call are for one day only. And even though the itinerary mentions the most famous city like Athens or Paris I know the ship will dock very far from the city.

I read that if you don't buy your shore excursion from the cruise company and are late returning it is your responsibility to reach the next port.

Looking forward to any advice. And also hearing from others booked on this cruise.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:40 AM
A world cruise on your second cruise--you are indeed fortunate.

I would think the average age would be somewhat above your age, but my, what an interesting group they will be--no doubt seasoned world travelers like yourself.

I know of no guide book specifically for world cruises; I would just see what is offered through your cruise. Ports that you are familiar with you could arrange your own tours; ports that you are not, it might be best to use the cruise-sponsored tours, because yes, the ship will sail without you if you are not back in time unless you are on a ship tour.

Have a wonderful adventure and keep in touch.
I would love to hear how one plans for a 102 day cruise.
I stress over 10-15 days.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 PM

In case you haven't seen it there is a roll call started on cruise critic for this cruise. It is under the Pacific Princess roll calls. I'm sure the others going on the cruise will be a big help to you as you plan this once in a lifetime trip.

Have a wonderful trip.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 02-18-2007, 05:23 PM
BJS,
If our friend is only 50 this will probably not be a once-in-a-lifetime trip; more likely one of many such trips.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:00 AM

Very True.

I now see she had started the above mentioned roll call.

Future cruises:
Past cruises:
Old 02-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanks for telling me about the roll call on CruiseCritic.com

I am so new to cruising that cruise-chat is the first message board I have posted on. I have a dear friend that purchased more timeshare programs than anyone can use in a lifetime, so we recently realized some of the 'points' can be used for cruises. We are using his timeshare points for both the Alaska and World Cruise. When I first went to the website associated with that particular timeshare program I only found one World Cruise. That is the reason we selected the Pacific Princess Sailing for January 10.

To answer the remarks about 'once in a lifetime' or 'first of many world cruises: I have always traveled as if we only have the present day. I used many Eurail passes when I was 19, 20, 23 etc to travel around Europe. The first trip my sister's husband was stationed in Munich. So I venture off to Italy back to Munich, off to Paris, back to Munich, etc etc. My friend has a 20 year contract that has enough points to pay for a world cruise every year.

I suspect we will go on future shorter cruises when we figure out what cities/regions we want to return to after the World Cruise.

On http://CruiseCritic.com under the roll call for this cruise a 'cruise professor' mentioned issues with Internet access or costs. I currently teach on the internet. I want to be online daily. I thought I read something like if you are in an expensive enough cabin or qualify for something like platinum that the internet is included. But someone on cruisecritic mentioned Princess had a new internet policy.

Is it feasible to use satellite internet separate from the Cruise company's internet?

THANKS in advance for any advice.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Princess states http://www.princess.com/news/article...a828&submit=pk that suite passangers, not those in balconys, have internet access. I do not know if they limit the amount of "free" time. Those with Platinum or Elite status did have "free" unlimited internet access but that will change as of April 1st. The new changes are:Platinum and Elite members on Cruises up to 7 days will get a $75 credit now towards costs, cruises over 7 days get $100,cruises over 21 days get $200 credit. These dollar amounts can be applied towards larger packages that will be offered the first time one accesses the internet.

If you are asking about wireless internet via your own laptop they do offer that on some Princess ships. There is no service in the cabins and usually in the Atrium only. You are also charged for this service.

If you have to be online daily to teach this might not be possible.

The biggest problem with internet service is the satellite reception and speeds. We have used it in many parts of the world and sometimes it is impossible to even get online in less than 5 minutes and there can be no servie for days at a time. That is the reason that those that have had "free" service are upset about the new limits. If you could readily get on or not be charged until you did get on the limits would not be a problem for many people who are just using for recreation rather than business. You are charged from the second you sit down and swipe your cruise key card until you log off.

How lucky you are to have a point rich friend!

Future cruises:
Past cruises:
Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 AM

BJS,

Thanks. I just emailed the agency to see if we can have a suite. I know she mentioned the possibility of an upgrade. We originally asked for a suite.

RE: The timeshare points. I still have no idea what the 'conversion' really is. We were told the World Cruise was 4 million points. When I looked at http://Princess.com 's website I saw prices listed varying by cabins. But I was told the prices had gone up. The agency associated with the timeshare said she was reserving 'the last available cabin' but I have learned to be skeptical of such claims. We wanted to go regardless, so just booked it. Then she mentioned discounts and another discount, maybe the smaller one because we the WC becomes our second cruise with Princess.

The Alaska was 1,756,000. We had six cruise coupons worth 756,000. So it only took an extra 1M. For Alaska I think we are on Coral Princess June 4, 2007 for 14 days with the second week being a land tour. Then Island Princess for a seven day return.

I wish I had a clue whether using the points is a good deal in general. But since we have them we would rather use them then late them expire.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 PM

How I wish I could be going with you, what a marvelous experience. The age group will probably be older than you, however, they will be booking segments along the way. The internet access is not speedy, but will work in most places. I am sure there will be some dead spots encountered. You can purchase packages. Best wishes and have a marvelous time!!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:44 PM

F-Mattox wrote:
Quote:
I would love to hear how one plans for a 102 day cruise.
I stress over 10-15 days.
I began this 'travel adventure' in June 2004. I have been very interested in family history but living on the West Coast (California 1979-99 & near Seattle from 99-2004) making it difficult to research Ireland, Scotland, and Mid Atlantic roots. I had been to Ireland, Scotland and all the states my ancestors lived in before but not long enough to really research. So I took digital photographs of nearly all my stuff, selling 95% after posting ads on http://Craigslist.org then putting what I couldn't part with in storage.

I was in the software industry for 20 years. Most of my papers are digitized. I do all my banking online. I started out using http://Priceline.com for accommodations. Then I lucked into some fantastic pet sitting gigs. Especially around DC/MD/VA which have great archives.

I write books and have a lot of websites. I even pet sat in England several places. I used my timeshare in between pet sitting gigs. So I have not paid mortgage, rent or utilities for almost three years.

I have been in a Mexican resort since December except for Christmas and part of January.

We asked the timeshare help desk to call the agent who booked the cruise. Then we have been handling everything via email.

I have a million questions I would like to ask her but will probably wait until we are back in the states in April.

I heard that some people book portions of World Cruises and not the whole cruise. Not sure if that is the case with Pacific Princess. Because if we get a large enough suite with a couch etc, maybe it would make sense to invite a friend to join us for part of the journey. I have already emailed a few of my email buddies at distant ports like Auckland. Maybe the person would want to join us Auckland to Sydney. Not sure if that is possible. The problem might be that one way transportation back is too expensive.

p.s. Since this is the only thread I have posted in this website I am not certain if there is a policy against mentioning other websites or using their URL in the messages. I have a habit of doing it because it is just easier.

Closed Thread

Tags
102, 2008, call, cruise, cruises, day, excursions, forums, pacific, princess, review, reviews, roll, world, yelp