Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 11:41 AM

I think I finally found the cruise I want to go on after a lot of changing the mind, and more research. It will be on the Emerald Princess. The tour is the Greek Isles & Mediterranean Rome to Venus cruise for 12 days. The departure date is June 17, 2008. Anyway, my question is, what are everyones thoughts on the ship Emerald Princess? Is it a nice ship? Newer? Older? What are the cabins like compared to Golden? I'm pretty excited now that i've finally decided which trip I want to go on. This one covers a lot of territory. Especially excited to see the ruins of Pompeii. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-13-2007, 11:41 AM

I think I finally found the cruise I want to go on after a lot of changing the mind, and more research. It will be on the Emerald Princess. The tour is the Greek Isles & Mediterranean Rome to Venus cruise for 12 days. The departure date is June 17, 2008. Anyway, my question is, what are everyones thoughts on the ship Emerald Princess? Is it a nice ship? Newer? Older? What are the cabins like compared to Golden? I'm pretty excited now that i've finally decided which trip I want to go on. This one covers a lot of territory. Especially excited to see the ruins of Pompeii. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Hello atlantagal;

let me answer your question first with a question: how did you like Golden Princess? Your answer to that should pretty much determine how you will feel about Emerald Princess because they are basically the same ship. The Emerald is brand new--it started sailing in April; the Golden is about seven years old. And the Emerald has an additional deck of cabins. But other than a few other minor differences, they are the same--look at the deck plans for both. And from the photos I have seen, the cabins look identical.

So if you liked Golden Princess, you are gonna' love Emerald Princess.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 AM

Yes, the Emerald and the Golden are both Grand Class Ships. That additional deck of cabins adds about 500 passengers without increasing the size of most of the common areas.

Some differences to note, IMHO, are:
    - Emerald has a large conference center; Golden has smaller meeting rooms
    - Golden has the Sterling Steakhouse; Emerald has the Crown Grill offering more (mostly fish) entrée choices
    - Emerald has the Penthouse (PH) Suites on that additional, higher deck (Riviera); Golden's PH Suites are on a lower deck (Caribe)
    - Golden has the Horizon Food Court; Emerald has the Horizon and sit down, casual restaurant, the Café Caribe
    - Emerald has the Steam and Sauna Rooms in the Locker Rooms and Thermal Suite as part of the Lotus Spa; the Golden just has the regular Steam and Sauna Rooms off the Lotus Pool (not in the locker rooms)
    - Golden shows all the movies in the Princess Theater; Emerald has MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) as well as showings in the Princess Theater
    - Emerald has a private, extra charge Sanctuary; Golden just has common area decks for lounging
    - Golden's Youth/Teen Center is in the front of the ship near the Lotus Spa and Jogging Track; Emerald's Youth/Teen Center is secluded in the back of the ship near the Video Arcade
    - Golden's Skywalkers is right at the back of the ship and has a walkway with great views to get there; on the Emerald, Skywalkers is slightly more forward and doesn't have the walkway
    - Emerald has the Mini Golf and Simulator at the very top of ship (technically, another new deck, Star); Golden has the Mini Golf and Simulator on a lower deck, Sun)
    - Emerald has Vines (Wine/Caviar Bar) and the International Café (specialty coffee, pastries, sandwiches, etc.); Golden just has the Lobby Bar (coffee, pastries, alcoholic drinks, etc.)[/list]
    There are probably other differences, and some of these are not that important to some people. I would think the marketing folks at Princess would like us to believe all these (and other) differences make the Emerald different enough for us to immediately book a cruise on her!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 AM

I did love my experience on Golden. From Todd's description it sounds like she is a bit better, and I love the fact that the kids area are more "out of the way" of the regular activities for adults. Less interaction with them. I talked to a friend of mine at work and she thinks she can come with me but we've decided on going on the Grand Mediterranean Venice to Barcelona 12 day on Emerald. LOL I keep changing my mind, but this is the one she wants to do. Crossing my fingers that she can come after she talks to her honey bunny!
Keri
Old 05-14-2007, 12:49 PM

I also have been doing quite a bit of reseach and our group (3 of us) have decided on the 6/17/08 Emerald cruise of the Greek isles/Med. We are planning on pre and post night(s). I have also been on the Golden and enjoyed the ship. According to some friends who have been on the Emerald, they have nothing less than positive reviews of the ship. They have not been on the Golden. I have always been happy with Princess and can't see that they will let me down this time. This will be my 4th sailing with Princess.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 AM

Hey there, have you booked yet? Maybe we could sail on the same cruise. We're planning on going on the same one I think, are you doing the one I mentioned above? We're departing on 6/29/08 I believe...we're going to do our final decision making next week.
Keri
Old 05-19-2007, 02:41 PM

there is a review of the cruise on cruise critic mixed some loved it, some like myself found it ok. Anyway read them all here is link.....
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...t=live+emerald
The selling point for us was all day in each port so you have time to do whatever you want and not be in total rush back to ship many greek cruise ships only do 4-5 hours in a port
Old 05-20-2007, 12:49 PM

We just returned from that cruise Friday and the ship is awesome. Be sure to get a room on the starboard side for the best views. A balcony is a must.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:59 PM

Alaska Golden points out some very good comparisons between the Golden and the Emerald. But the Emerald is a different class ship. It is in the "Caribbean" class, 113,000 ton 3,080 passengers at Double occupancy. Golden is 109,000 ton and 2,600 passengers at double occupancy.

Closed Thread

Tags
12, baltic, cafe, center, cruise, emerald, hours, international, penthouse, princess, reviews, room, sauna, show, steam, teen