Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 10:47 AM

Irvine Traveler- Who is the guest speaker on you cruise?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 AM

I did check out the web site and tried to book a tour, the tubing because all tours on the ship were booked and the one we had chosen was canceled, go figure.

Anyway the tour company called me on my cell in Kona and said they were all booked in the AM and I could take a 1 PM tour. We chose not to run the risk of a late return to the ship. As for the rental car, I did not follow through as we did not get the tour. At this point I will play it by ear.

The rental car web site did send me a message to my inquiry that it must be booked frive days prior to arrival and my inquiry was three days. So book early and use their shuttle from the port area to the airport for car pick up. I have heard others talkin in the Crooner Bar about using rental cars everyday and have not heard of a problem yet.

Keep those questions flying my way and I will do my best to respond.

We are off to visit friends, from a British Isles cruise, in Honolulu today.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-04-2007, 01:46 PM

Irvine,

Thanks for the info. I have sent in a request for a car in Kauai, and am waiting for confirmation. I think this should work out great. There are four of us, and we have never been to Kauai. Let us know if you hear about any problems.

Enjoy!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Hello Irvine Traveler,
I see from the bridge cam that you are anchored at Nawiliwili;
that's a shame--three tendered ports out of five; oh well, at least the weather looks great. Look forward to your next post.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Hello cruisers,

We had a great day in Kuai. We did decide to pursure the car rental on the fly as we landed. We found that at the dock there where shuttles waiting to take you to the major rental car sites at Lihue Airport. Hertz, Alamo, Thirfty and Budget for sure. We asked Thrifty they were all booked and so was Hertz with advanced reservations, Alamo had cars and we were taken the two miles to the airport and rented a compact, 4 door car for $31 a day plus tax, the final total was $39. I put $6 of gas in the car prior to return.

We drove around the island. Stopped to snorkel at Poipu Beach, found that the Fern Grotto is not open due the high silt levels in the river. The boat can not travel up the river far enough to view the grotto.

Had a nice lunch and brew on shore and returned to the dock at 3 PM to beat the rush back on ship for a 4:30 departure time.

The rental car company of course provided the shuttle back to the ship.

There is a small shopping area near the ship and there are shuttles to take you to the shops for free also.

All in all a great day with no agenda or tours planned. Others drove to Princeville area and returned with no problem.

To RichC

The guest speakers on ship are Naturalist Ann Carroll Burgess. We listened to two of her talks on plants, birds and volcanos. In addition a Art Historian, Evelyn Weissbach is listed, but we have not attend her talks.

Missed dinner on ship last night, again, so we will have to get the update on the Pearl Harbor tours from our table mates tonight. They are probably wondering where we went.

IrvineTraveler
Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 PM

We are spending eight days in Kauai in early September (not cruising), and I have found that Budget by far has the best pricing, if you use the Walmart code, supposedly for Walmart shoppers, but that means virtually everyone can use it. The BCD code you type in is W810011. I got a one week rental price of $159.00 for a compact, with all taxes included. I just checked for a one day compact for March 9 to 10 just to test it out with that code without much advance booking, and it was $23.82 totalling $30.45 with all charges for a compact.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 AM

Thank you so much for the info on car rentals in Kauai. Based on the experience of Irvine, we have gone ahead and booked a van. Hopefully, we will dock and not anchor.

Irvine, I see from the webcam you were anchored in Niwiliwili yesterday. Did that cause any problems or significant delays? Would you recommend a drive South or North? I don't suppose there is time for both.

Aloah!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Bob & Bev.

Which direction to drive depends entirely on what you want to see and to. The snorkel beach, Poipu, is south as is spouting horn blow hole and the Waiamea Canyon view, not sure of the spelling of that.

North is Princeville area and the Nai Pali coast area, not sure of that spelling either. In the past we did a Zodiac snorkel trip at the Nai Pali area and it was outstanding. You view the area that is used for many movies, such as Jurasic Park, etc. very pretty. Flying fish jump along side the boat as you travel.

I told everyone I would check with my table mates regarding their day in Pearl Harbor. At first they reacted with "I don't want to talk about it". After some explaination that you wanted the information on line they opened up.

It seems one couple did the Arizona and Missouri tour. They took the tour bus to the Arizona, and the guide obtained the tickets, now it was a 2 hour plus wait for their tour time. So, the bus did a city tour to kill time. When they returned they were herded like cattle onto the memorial and told "keep moving" with no time for reflections of to read the inscriptions.

Then they boarded another bus to the Missouri, which they complained was within walking distance and did not understand the bus. Once on the Missouri the wife found there were too many stairs (ladders) for her so she could not continue viewing the various areas of the ship.

Then after the tour instead of being taken promptly back to the ship they were taken on another non-scheduled city tour. My mates were hungry and wanted to return to the ship for lunch, but had no choice but the hang in there. At 3 PM they returned to the ship, hungry, tired and very upset.

The second couple arrived by another bus at the Arizona and again tickets were obtained, for 3 hours later. Again, they were taken on a city tour to see the sites. Oops, they arrived by 5 minutes late for their scheduled time due to traffic.

So, most of the cruisers said lets skip the ten minute introduction video and go straigth to the launch to the USS Arizona. But a small group put up a fuss and said we paid for this we want the video and all we are do. So, the tour guide obtained NEW boarding passes for 1 1/2 hours later. Oh my!

So, my table mates went off to a local restaurant to fill in the wait time. Finally, to the Arizona at 2:30 PM. This was a morning tour and they were to return from the Arizona at 1PM. A long day.

They said this was a very busy tour site and the fact we were in port on Sunday there were additonal tourist at the location also. Be prepared for delays and a long day.

I know that was a long explaination, but I tried to give all the facts and accounts of the day for them.

IrvineTraveler

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 PM

As for the question regarding any problems with being anchored at Nawiliwili and the tender, there were non. We waited until approx. 9:30 to depart and were gived a tender boarding ticket that allowed us to proceed directly to the tender.

The dock is only 1-2 minutes from the ship, a very, very, short tender ride.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Irvine Traveler,
do us all a favor it you would; next time you talk to the Captain tell him we liked the bridge cam much better the way it use to be--when you could see the splash pool and the horizon. I'm sure it's just a minor adjustment.

Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
booking, car, comments, hawaii, hawaiian, honolulu, islands, kauai, nawiliwili, port, positive, rental, rentals, snorkel, tahiti, tours