Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 PM

I'm looking at the Exotic Panama Canal cruise for Sept 25, 2008. It's round trip from LA and does a half transit thru the canal. Can anyone tell me what to expect for weather during the last week of Sept and the first 2 weeks of Oct in that area?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:09 PM

It'll be hot & humid in Sept with a high chance of rain in the canal. We've also done the canal in Dec & got rained on from time to time but don't let that deter you from going.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM

My husband's biggest fear is hurricanes. I don't believe it's the season but you can't predict weather. Is it a better time to travel the area from Dec - Apr?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:45 PM

September is the most active month of the year for hurricane activity. Nothing to fear from them on the ship though, except that maybe your itin may change if a major storm is in your path. They'll re-direct the ship to other locations and ports if there is an issue. It's unlikely you'll have a problem, I cruise every September and have only missed one port due to weather. Would be a good idea to have travel insurance though.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 PM

So...is Oct-Dec considered the rainy season? And if we wanted a more "rain free" trip, we should consider maybe late Dec-April?

Also, this trip is just the Pacific side of Panama. We would not be going to the Gulf Coast. Can anyone tell me an advantage to the full transit compared to just the half transit on the Pacific side? I'm having a hard time deciding. My husband likes to come and go from LA, since we live so close. He's not a big fan of flying.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Hello lc;

other than the emotional charge of going from one ocean to another, there is really no advantage to making the full Canal transit if all you want is to see the Canal in operation.

I'm with your husband on flying; it has become a major pain, and getting worse all the time. I live near L.A. too, so any cruise round trip from, or embarkaing or debarking in L.A., I"m in!

I'm doing the full transit from Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. this April. If I have to fly, I'll fly first and get it out of the way, then just cruise home. I actually wanted to take the cruise you are talking about but couldn't get away for 18 days at the time I booked.

I would suggest the Pacific Panama Canal itinerary; and you might want to consider waiting until the April 26, '09 sailing on Coral Princess--I think you might find the weather more agreeable.

Rick
Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your info regarding the time to sail Panama Canal. My husband thinks he has convinced me to wait until April 2009. He's still in love with the idea of coming and going from LA. I would love to do the full transit between Christmas and New Years this year. So...what we've agreed on at this point is not to go late this Sept. Since he has offered to buy new appliances and flooring for the kitchen and a weeks trip to San Francisco, I may just go along with waiting until April for the next big cruise.

Thanks again for advice.

LC
Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Look at it this way, lc: what you will save by going in April instead of between Christmas and New Years will pay for the new appliances, the flooring, and maybe even the week in San Francisco. Good decision.

Rick
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 AM

Thanks Rick, now I'm convinced. April it is...

LC

Closed Thread

Tags
advantage, canal, cruise, days, full, half, hurricanes, itinerary, month, novdec, panama, reviews, september, taking, transit, worry