Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:25 PM

My family just booked a Spring '09 cruise on the Caribbean Princess. There will be three of us in the cabin. We were all set to book an aft cabin on the Dolphin deck since we heard about the great view and balcony size. But were then told by Princess that the twin beds could not be converted to a queen with the third person in the cabin. We were told that the only cabins still available that can do this were on the Riviera Deck. At the moment we are booked in R525, but we are worried about the noise from the above deck. And, because of the confusion between different Princess customer care employees and the TA (all giving us different information), we wanted to know if anyone has been in this cabin and if it can really be converted to a queen with an upper berth. It is still early enough to switch back to Dolphin 735. But I needed some advice before staying where we are booked or switching.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:07 AM

well when i was on this ship just a few months ago i stayed on dolphin deck and they made the 2 lower beds together and as i recall some on that deck had upper births and some had bed couches. hope this helps!!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:42 AM

My biggest worry is about the foot traffic and noise from the Lido deck above our Riviera deck cabin. After talking to a Princess employee, she said that the aft cabin in the Dolphin deck was wonderful and whatever we do, not to get a cabin on the Riviera deck because all they get are complaints about the noise. Of course, now we have a Riviera cabin booked, and I am concerned that it was a bad pick. I do like that it is close to the pools, MUTS, buffets, especially since my teen will be heading there every day.

Has anyone stayed on the Riviera deck? Is it as bad as she warned?

After planning all this time, I want us to be happy once we get there.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, I must say that I am very surprised that a Princess employee would tell you something like that--even if it were true. And after several years of reading reviews and posts on this and other forums, I have only heard noise mentioned a couple of times; and it usually had to do with being able to hear the pool activities while on the balcony. I would think the location would far outweigh whatever slight chance there was of noise from above.

But if you are really concerned about this, and you want to be absolutely sure you will have a queen bed and a Pullman or a sofa bed for a third person, I would suggest a mini-suite on Dolphin Deck.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:04 AM

My room was on the Riviera deck, it was in the 500s, don't remember the exact number. I had absolutely no problem with noise.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 PM

That makes me feel better about our cabin selection.

Thanks for the info!!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 AM

We are already booked in a BB cabin. But now I am considering upgrading to a mini suite. It would be a surprise for my DH's 50th b-day.

I was looking at a mini on Emerald. E730 and 731 are booked, but cabins just past both of those cabins are available (724-729). Any advantages for port vs. starboard? How bad is the noise from Club Fusion below on the port side?

Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
With three of you cruising, I think you will be much more comfortable in a mini-suite. And the Emerald Deck minis have the advantage of having the balconies covered; not that i've ever had a problem with the uncovered balconies on Dolphin Deck--but it does bother some people.

I wanted to book E731 but I too was concerned about noise from Club Fusion, so I did a lot of research--even talked to several who had been in that cabin--and nobody had any noise issues; so I have it booked for an upcoming cruise.

I wouldn't hesitate to book on either side; but if there is one available on starboard side, that would be my first choice.

Rick
Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 PM

I just spoke to my TA. The minis on Emerald are not part of her group rates. So, now I am looking at a Dolphin mini (forward AC cabin) or Caribe balcony cabin (BA, 500 area). Any suggestions? We like the size of the mini, but I am not sure if we want an uncovered balcony.

Can a BA cabin have the twins converted to a queen with a third person in the cabin?

I keep re-reading all these messages, and I get confused. Maybe I am suffering from info overload!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
As I said, I have never had a problem with the uncovered balconies. Other passengers have always been very respectful of our privacy. And the uncovered balcony brings a lot more light into the cabin and gives it a more "open" and "airy" ambience.

On the other hand, the BA balconies on Caribe Deck are almost as large and are about half-covered, giving you some privacy. The trade-off of course is it is a smaller cabin; no sitting area or couch, less closet space and a smaller bathroom with no tub--just a very small shower. And on the deckplans I see 4 cabins in the 500 area of Caribe Deck that don't accomodate a 3rd person. All the rest can be made into a queen with a Pullman for the 3rd person.

But I really think you will be much more comfortable in a mini-suite. And I really think you will like the open balcony.

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, aft, cabin, caribbean, carribean, deck, employee, lido, mini, pool, princess, reveiws, reviews, riveria, suite