Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Petite44:
Dave 56

You are right, I tend to panic alot, two months is a long time, please keep me posted if you have any information.

thanks Fran
Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 AM

Hi Fran,i know what you mean about being worried we cruise on 9/12/06 an now I'm really nervous it is also our first cruise which I have already spent a fortune on!!! My husband is not to happy right now!!!! Hope to hear from you maybe we can console one another? First time nervous cruiser Vita
Old 07-19-2006, 07:02 AM

Hi DJ5, my husband and I were booked on Princess out of Fort Lauderdale a couple of years ago when Hurricane Frances hit the coast. The ship could not get back into the port and no one could get to Fort Lauderdale, but right up until the time we were support to depart they were saying that we would sail as planned. The ship did not get into port until 3 days after it was suppose. They refunded all our money and cancelled the cruise we had booked. They went on a shortened cruise for those who wanted to still go and who were there.

So, keep checking with Princess right up until the last minute. If they cancel it will be on the day you are suppose to leave in all likelihood. Good Luck
Old 07-19-2006, 07:06 AM

Hi Vita, if you purchased the insurance you can cancel and get a percentage back depending on the date you cancel in relation to when the cruise leaves. Read your cruise information and it should tell you the details, or call Princess and they will explain. If you did not take the insurance, I think you lose your money if you cancel for no reason. Good LUck!
Go on the cruise, it will be fine, and you will have fun.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:08 AM

Hi Vita, I'm am trying to read all the news sites and get all the information I can. Another couple is going with us on Sept 30 and they don't seem so concerned,they said the "kinks" will get fixed, but I think otherwise. I'm trying not to think about it, but it's pretty hard, you always have second thoughts. Let's both hope that in time, everything will get worked out and we both have a great cruise!!! Keep the faith, Fran
Old 07-19-2006, 07:27 AM

Princess will do what is necessary, as would any other line that experiences any problems. You will be refunded, rebooked, or taken care of. They will fix the problem with the steering. They are really not out to kill or mame anyone. Any major line that has any problems, will correct them. As with any aircraft, vehicle we drive, trains, buses, etc. Don't panic, things will work out.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Hi Ladies thanks for the comfort we did take the insurance so I will check that out,thanks for the tip! Fran, I guess you are less nervous then me?But you are right we have to keep the faith now a days what other choice do we have lol!!!! I called my travel agent and of coarse she said not to worry! that did not help at all when I think about all those people on that ship they must have been terrified and I know there not telling us everything on TV thats for sure.So I'll calm down in a few days. Hope to hear from all soon Vita
Old 07-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Go Here to read the July 19 update from Princess Cruises.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:52 AM

Hi Dave, I went to the site and read the article you must be a very experienced cruiser,thanks for the tip!I was wondering how you felt about what happenned on the crown and how nervous I should really be? Any info. would be appreciated. Very New and Nervous first time cruiser Vita
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Vita,

I'm sure it was a scary experience for the passengers AND the crew. But it appears to be a mechanical/electrical type of problem, possibly involving the computers they use to steer the ship. This is all speculation. I will say that it is exceedingly difficult to capsize a modern ship, even from severe rolls that would appear hopeless to the untrained (or panicked) eye. A ship is designed such that they "want" to stay upright. Sort of like an airplane - if designed properly and flown correctly an airplane "has" to take off and stay aloft. It is simply a fact of physics. I happen to know that one thing they do during sea trials of new ships is to run up to full speed and then heel over to port or starboard with full rudder - essentially they make a 90 degree turn at top speed. It is an uncomfortable manuver but the ships all seem to make it through this.

In some other post, I noted how I went through some extreme sea conditions during my time in the Navy. We took rolls of greater than 40 degrees, and had waves breaking over the bridge for what seemed to be an eternity. But what most don't realize is a good part of the extreme motion of bad rolls (lists) is caused by the ship counteracting it and staying upright.

Princess has had a lot of bad things happen lately. The fire on the Star Princess, and then this Crown P episode. But they reacted properly. It isn't as if they knew these things would happen and took a risk. They will get it turned around. I would not let it bother me, and indeed, I'd gladly sail on the Crown P on the first cruise they do after repairs.

Closed Thread

Tags
18, app, cancelling, crown, cruise, dfw, golden, july, petite44, princess, princesscruise, stabilizers, updates