Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Who said they were cutting Lahaina?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 AM

O I am sorry, I messed up he said Kona is being cut and I was thinking that was 1 of the ports so my mistake but it still seems like I have very few ports is that the norm? I saw 1 cruise on holland of 09 and it had more ports it stopped in. It seems the price I am paying is awfully high for such few ports am I wrong? Shana
Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 AM
That was going to be my next suggestion: take a look at Holland America. They will continue to do 15 day cruises out of San Diego. I didn't mention it earlier because you seemed pretty set on Princess; but I have cruised on HAL once and highly recommend them. The price is a little higher than Princess, but it is money well spent.

Rick
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

The bottom line with cruises to Hawaii from the mainland - it takes a while to get there and you'll never have a lot of stops because of the eight sea days involved, and also because there are only so many ports in Hawaii. You are hitting the four major islands. There really isn't much else the cruise line can do.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Rick, I looked at HAL and I like the fact that there is i think 2 more ports and the price is worth it if you get great service and the 2 more ports than princess although I really do like the golden princess but they say limited handi-cap accessible tendering in Lahaina also and I would be very upset to not get to get off at that port and it specifies that on my reservation that I had put on a courtesy hold. Is room vs/d737 that is a suite with a couch and seperate livingroom area right? On the golden princess on the dolphin deck. If I do book this I want to make sure we have a large room since we will be on the ship for so long which I am looking forward to. Shana
Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Which cruise on HAL are you looking at? The only difference I see is HAL will still stop at Kona but the other ports are the same as with Princess. And trust me - Ensenada is not something I'd look forward to. It is tossed in to make the cruise legal since a foreign flagged ship has to have a foreign stop if it sails from U.S. ports.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Shana, Holland America and Princess currently both have the same itinerary--five ports in Hawaii plus Ensenada (the only difference being HAL sails from San Diego); 15 days.

Starting October 1 this year Princess is cutting back to 14 days and eliminating one port--Kona. HAL's itinerary will remain the same.

Yes, you have a hold on a Vista Suite, D737; I have not stayed in one but I have seen them and you will will have plenty of room. The balconies of the aft suites are very large also.

As for Lahaina, rest assured that Princess will do everything humanly possible to get you ashore. I have seen crew members literally lift people in wheelchairs onto the tenders. But you must understand that if the water is choppy or the wind too strong, for your own safety, they may not be able to put you aboard. A ship will occasionally have to miss a port if the conditions are not right. Passenger safety is their number one priority.

But whichever ship you choose, you wil have a wonderful cruise.

Rick
Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 PM

Thank you both for clearing things up for me and I will double check I thought I had seen a sail on HAL with a stop in a different port than what princess showed but I was probably wrong I am new to all this and want to make sure I have the best trip I can have just in case this is my 1 and only cruise. You both are so helpful so thank you and bare with my dumb questions, lol. Shana
Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Shana,

Rest assured, you are not asking dumb questions. We enjoy helping new cruisers, and you have asked good questions and have been receptive to our advice. You'd be surprised at how many people drop by, ask for advice, and then take issue with what we tell them.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Thank you Dave, I am glad you guys don't mind me picking away at your brain when it comes to me trying to figure out if I am making the right decisions when it comes to the cruise plus you guys have great first hand experience at this cruise stuff. I can't imagine people taking issue when your just giving suggestions and advice from first hand knowledge, well there loss and you guys have great sense of humor also so you make things fun. I am going to go ahead with my trip on golden princess I think, I will make final decision tommorrow after looking at the HAL website some more but this way I am guaranteed to go to Hawaii in 2010 winter months as I don't see anything in 2010 on HAL yet. Shana

Closed Thread

Tags
aft, back, bad, cabins, caribe, cruise, cruises, d732, deck, golden, good, hawaii, lahaina, lobster, mini, princess, suite