Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 11:37 AM

Hello, I have booked a cruise to Hawaii on the golden princess and the only vista suite they had left were on the rear of the ship on the dolphin deck room 737 and my question is this a quiet area? Is it a good area on the ship? Does anyone have comments about the vista suite that have been in one before? Any comments appreciated. Shana
Old 06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Hello, shana;

I have not had a Vista Suite but I have been in a mini-suite just a couple of doors down the hall from you; and yes, we found it to be very quiet and pleasant. There is no foot traffiic past your cabin and there are cabins above and below you. And you only have a neighbor on one side.

We love the location; two decks down to the Promenade; three down to the dining room; and it's very close to the aft stairs and elevators which go right to my favorite part of the ship--the Horizon Terrace, with the buffet, pool and Outrigger Bar.

The only noise or vibration we ever noticed was from the thrusters when docking; and that only lasts a couple of minutes.

We went to Hawaii last year (on Island Princess) and really loved it--especially the long, lazy days at sea. Have a wonderful cruise and please stay in touch.

Rick
Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 PM

Hi Shana,

My only concern is that in a previous post you mentioned the need for a wheelchair accessible cabin. In looking at the deck plan at your cabin, it does not appear to be HC accessible.

If it turns out not to be suitable, you may want to ask about availability of a suite compatible with your needs. Actually none of the suites I looked at had the designation for HC accessible.

Aloha deck has Cat BB balconies A301,302,303 and 304. Baja deck has B301,302,303 and 304 in Cat BC. Caribe deck has BA balonies C301,302,303 and 304. These are the only HC accessible cabins with a balcony I see on Golden. Perhaps they have suites as well but didn't indicate which ones on the legend of the deck plan.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Well Shana, that didn't take long! You made a great choice. Aft cabins are my favorites since the view from the balcony is better than those along the side of the ship.

As Rick said, since you have cabins above and below you, and you are in a corner, it will be a very quiet area. I've not been in a Vista Suite but a well-traveled friend of mine has, and he enjoyed it immensely.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Good point, Neil; I didn't remember shana needing a wheelchair- accessible cabin.

shana, there will certainly be room enough in the suite, but if you are confined to the wheelchair, access to the cabin and bathroom could be a problem.

The last two mini-suites on Dolphin Deck, D732 and D733 are accessible and have the large shower in the bathroom.

Rick
Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

But isn't it true that they don't allow the scooters in the cabin? They always leave them in the passageways to charge.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 PM

If it's truely a scooter, yes they do charge them outside the cabin unless someone is permanently confined to the chair like some of the power chairs. Then they charge them inside the cabin so they're available if needed through the night. Some modern ships have charging stations in a type of closet on the decks so they're out of the traffic. You just call an ext they provide and they retrieve it for you. My main concern with the suite she's chosen is if a chair will fit through the doorway of the cabin and things like turning radius in the bathroom with grab bars, shower seats and things that may be needed.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Wow,thank you all for all your responses. I called the medical cordinator for princess cruiselines and she said I am able to request a shower chair to go in the shower or tub and am able to get a raised toilet seat and wedges for use in the bed since I am in a hospital bed at home, I just have to send in my request about 6 months prior to sailing and they will take care of things but I think my dr. has to fill out some information as well and that's fine. I need to call the cruiselines to check wether the scooter can go in the cabin if not we will also have a collapsable regular wheelchair that we will be taking with but thank you for raising the question as to wether the scooter can get in the room or not, thank goodness I can walk some in the cabin with my cane and get on the balcony with the cane as long as it is not more than a 1 step on to it. I have this cruise on a courtesy hold and have to make partial payment by june 8th so I thought if I can do investigating and find out information from you all to make sure I am asking and doing everything I need to be doing so I so appreciate all of your help and suggestions. Dave, Lol, no it didn't take long cause I was fixed on going to Hawaii granted I did want a 2 bedroom so my snoring mother wouldn't keep me awake, lol, but this suite will be fine with some good earplugs . Rick, thank you very much for providing the information about that area of the ship. Neil, thank you so much for checking out the handi-cap accessible areas but the rooms are just not what I wanted since I need a large room to at least be able to use the manual wheelchair when I am to tired to walk with my cane or to weak after a busy day. I am in a electric wheelchair 99.9% of my day at home so if it is able to be in the room I will have it in there otherwise they will have to get it to me when I need it is all. My cruise is booked for Jan. 2010 but I possibly will take a shorter cruise somewhere prior to that cruise. Rick, do they have much lobster or shrimp for meals? Or is there a specialty resteraunt where I can order this? I love both these and being this is my vacation to spoil myself rotten, lol, I thought it would be great to eat my favorites . I am sure I have many more questions coming your way. Thanks, Shana
Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 PM
shana, on our last two cruises, which were both 15 days, they served lobster twice in the main dining rooms. They served shrimp twice also, but one of those times was with the lobster. The other time was with filet mignon, or "Surf & Turf", as they call it.

They also had beautiful large shrimp twice in the Horizon Court for buffet lunch (and not the same days it was served for dinner).

Lobster is also one of the entrees available every night in Sabatini's; Sabatini's will spoil you beyond repair. We didn't try Sterling's Steakhouse, but I would imagine the have a steak and shrimp or lobster combo. Hopefully someone else knows for sure. Both restaurants have a cover charge.

Wow! I have this sudden craving for seafood.

Rick
Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 PM
shana, this was part of the buffet twice during the cruise:

Closed Thread

Tags
aft, back, bad, cabins, caribe, cruise, cruises, d732, deck, golden, good, hawaii, lahaina, lobster, mini, princess, suite