Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 09:54 PM

Sorry, you are so absolutely incorrect in stating that Princess will offer a discount after one cruise or honor their promos. Flightcentre and two other travel agencies gave us quotes lower than princess's quotes.
Wrong, wrong wrong. Princess's own travel agents told us that there was "no discount for previous cruises until we reached 5 or more, or booked in off-season, or totalled more than a certain amount of cruise days," I believe its around 50. Your statements are in direct contradiction to Flightcentre, other travel agents, and Princess's own agents.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm sorry, you are the one that is incorrect and wrong, wrong, wrong.

I don't care what Flightcentre or two other travel agencies or what you claim to be Princess travel agents told you. After one cruise you are a Gold Captain's Circle member and get the same promo materials and discounts as Platinum and Elite members. There are other benefits that increase at each level but the past passenger discounts or sales are the same for all.

It is entirely possible that another agency gave you a price lower than Princess, but if you explore this forum a bit, you will find out that agencies can play all sorts of games with the numbers.

So if you insist on continuing to slam the cruise line here, at least get your facts straight.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:04 AM

Not a Princess expert. But they do give a confirmation number for the rate. It is good for at least 24 hours as someone else stated. One can even call during that period and request an extension to keep the rate a little longer regardless if it went up a little.

If that time period expired, and demand went up along with prices. They would have no reason to honor the previous expired price regardless if one had been on 3 cruises. They have other people that are willing to pay more, some that have been on more cruises with them.

Even past cruiser rates fluctuate according to demand. Is why they have the fine print. It is disheartening as a past guest to get a no. But they are in business to make money and fill the ships at the highest amount of revenue.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:20 PM

I think there are some unknown details missing. Not sure what they are and I've been on the wrong side of miscommunication issues in this indusrty a few times. Cruiseline says one thing, agent hears another. Agent says one thing, client hears another. I've tried to eliminate words like "posibly, might, sometimes and anything that leave the door open to interpretation" from my conversations with clients. The reason is I say "There is a posibility of an upgrade..." Seems every time they hear "I'm going to get upgraded..." Then many don't think moving from an inside guarantee to an inside cabin on deck 8 an upgrade. If it didn't have a balcony they were disapointed with the posibility of an upgrade becoming whatever cabin they got.

Pricing promotions are often seen the same way my conversations above are. They have an expiration date on a promo and everyone believes the rate is protected until that date. On every promo, look for the fine print. Somewhere you'll see the words "Offer subject to availability" or something very similar. If they post a rate to sell balcony 50 cabins and give a cut off for the promo as June 15th, but they sell 50 cabins the weekend they open the promotion you're out of luck. The deadline doesn't matter, the availabilty matters.

Anytime you see a sailing you like that meets your budget and time frame, book it or risk the price/availability changing. If you put it on hold, get a confirmation # and know what day and time your hold expires.

IC, you're partially right about the 24 hour courtesy hold and extensions. The cruiselines want agents to limit holds to reasonable time frames. For a sailing for fall of 2008, reasonable may be a week. For a sailing next week on a ship that's down to a dozen cabins we may only be offered 1 hour with no posibility of an extension. Find out for sure before you hang up the phone.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Thank you, Dwayne and Neil.

Hey Boo Boo, anything else you want to tell us?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:21 PM

One more time, and then I believe we have beaten this horse enough.
When I sat in the Flightcentre Office, I gave them a print out from Princess Cruise with their current price quote (from 12 hours earlier.)
This price was still on their website.
When Flightcentre called Princess to make the travel arrangements, they were advised by Princess that the website price, and our on-line quote would not be honored. No explanation or reason. It took Princess about 48 hours before they changed their website advertised price; for the second time in 72 hours.
Princess still held our reservation, but at their new price, for the next 48 hours.
I called Princess myself and asked why they did not honor their quote. The response was "We have your query on file from your travel agent, Our customer service department originally told your travel agent to advise you that Princess would either honor the quote to you or offer an upgrade room for the new price, but on review, a senior supervisor, withdrew that offer." No answer was provided for that decision.
When we asked if there was any consideration for being a past cruiser, we were told by the same Princess agent, "Not really, unless you have five or more cruises, or are willing to travel in the Caribbean during the Hurricane season"
It was at that time we cancelled our reservation.
So to those who tell us we are "pounding on the Cruise line", we advise that we wanted to go on the cruise, the money issue ($150 more) was not even an issue, it is strictly the attitude of Princess.
We did receive a reply from Captain's Circle with respect to the issue of being a member, which reinforces our opinion even more about Princess's lack of respect to their customers.
It was a standard form letter that Princess sends to anyone who expresses a concern. There was no mention of any issues.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 AM

Something is getting confused here.

You are saying a "reservation" from some outfit called flightcentre. A Cruise Agent will give you a "Confirmation". It is just that, it Confirms your date and price, and you will be issued a booking number regardless if you have paid the deposit.

No offense, but if you are complaining that you received a price "quote" and then it went up when you actually booked. I don't get your complaint.

If you told the "flightcentre" agent I am booking and you recieved a confirmation number and then went to pay your deposit within the timeframe and it went up. I would be on your side.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:52 AM

Rick, You are welcome. I calls them like I sees them. I have a complaint of my own! I stopped by the neighborhood BP for a can of Skoal yesterday and asked the price of gas. I was quoted $2.97. I went back this morning and was $3.02! I said "you told me $2.97 yesterday". The guy said "you should have filled up then"
Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Rick, You are welcome. I calls them like I sees them. I have a complaint of my own! I stopped by the neighborhood BP for a can of Skoal yesterday and asked the price of gas. I was quoted $2.97. I went back this morning and was $3.02! I said "you told me $2.97 yesterday". The guy said "you should have filled up then"
Well, at least they changed their sign before they raised the price! I've been at a gas station filling up while they were changing the large sign everyone sees from the road (raising the price). At least they gave me the lower price while they were changing the sign - just made it!

I think if Princess is going to raise their prices, they should "change their sign" first - meaning they need to update their web site and the information provided to travel agents first before quoting/charging a higher price.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:10 AM

It is sort of a "fluid" thing, no pun intented. Well yes there was. It always says subject to availability and prices are subject to change.

They have all kinds of printed material out there as well with certain prices. It always has the disclaimer. I think this is more about them losing the arguement and having hurt feelings than the price difference. I can understand that.

Take Away Lesson:

If one gets an acceptable quote book it. It may not be the same the next day regardless if advertised with disclaimers.

Closed Thread

Tags
agent, booked, carnival, crown, cruise, cruiser, d732, golden, past, price, princess, raised, rating, suzycruisy, travel, traveling