Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 AM

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 01-01-2008, 03:15 AM

Any Tips on what luggage,clothing,and rules and regulations onboard would be appreciated
Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 AM

I am not exactly going to answer your question, but just give you some food for thought. That is a cruise I would LOVE, but I am an experienced cruiser. It is always wise to start with something simpler, one week or less, to see if you really like cruising. Although it is hard for me to imagine, some people do not, and many who do, would not be on a ship for over two weeks. Unless your booking is cast in stone, I would try another cruise first.
Ellie
Old 01-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Hello Narrell, welcom to cruise-chat, and Happy New Year!

I'm a little confused; you say your cruise is leaving from Australia and your ticker shows an Alaska cruise-tour on Princess. But I can find no Princess cruise going from Australia to Alaska. Did you perhaps mean you are flying to Alaska for the cruise-tour?

Either way, keep your luggage to a minimum--I believe the land portion of the trip allows only 2 pieces of luggage per person, plus a carry-on. As for clothing, plan to layer. You will need rain gear and warm clothing; but the weather could also be very nice--mid 70's--so you will need some light-mid weight garments also.

If you are indeed sailing from Australia, I would give some thought to SD Cruiser's comments. That would be quite a long cruise with many sea days. As SD said, it is a cruise I would love to take; but for a first cruise, rather formidable--especially with a land tour included.

But don't let us put a damper on your plans. If this is what you really want, go for it!

If you need any other advice, this is the place to find it; there are a lot of very experienced and helpful people here.

Please stay in touch, and let us know more about your plans.

Rick
Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 AM

oops!Sorry I wasn't very clear in what our cruise/Tour involves. We are flying to Vancouver, then cruising to Whittier, then joining the Mc Kinley express to travel to Fairbanks. This trip has taken almost three years to plan and put into action, due to the ill health of one parent and the passing of another parent. So it is not only a trip of a life time for us, but also a much needed rest and recovery Tour. The reason I asked about clothing was because we are coming from the very top end of Australia (in the tropics, just 20mins from the great barrier reef). I must admit we didn't even consider a shorter trip because we bothe had our hearts set on the Alaskan cruise/Tour on the Diamond Princess.
Thanks for the info on the clothing!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
You are one lucky Mate:-)...Alaska will wow you...Now, my ideal cruise would be sailing to Australia:-)...You will have a wonderful time..I've been on 2 cruises to Alaska and am in the process of planning a third....If you get to Skagway, I would plan on taking the White Pass Railroad ride up the mountain...After that LONG flight, you will have lots of relaxing time on the ship...bring clothing that you can wear by layers...and some rain gear too...I've been there when it was cold and raining and then again when it was warm and sunny....weather there is a gamble...Happy sailing and have a safe and healthy 2008...

Bob E
Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 AM

Sounds like a fabulous choice for you. I had misunderstood your original post and thought you were doing one of those 30 day or so cruises, and that seemed long for your first cruise. I did not realize you were flying over to start your Alaska cruisetour.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 AM

Hi Narrell, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I hope you enjoy Princess as much as we do. We've only done the Caribbean on Princess, but just feel at home on board. We've sailed the Sun, Sea, Dawn and Emerald and are booked, Lord willing, on the Royal in December. I hope you enjoy the Diamond, she's a beautiful ship. We've always had wonderful service on board, all the ships have been as clean as a whistle that we've been on, and the food is wonderful. Sorry to hear that you lost a parent and one was in ill health. I do hope your cruise will offer you some well deserved fun and relaxation. Be sure to bring clothing you can layer, extra memory chips for your camera (or film if you're like me) and a big smile. Happy New Year and once again welcome aboard!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the tips. As I am a keen weekend photographer I had been wondering about how the cooler weather would effect my cameras and handycam. I'd planned to take some photos of the northern lights.
Does anyone know if they can be seen from any of the sea ports or even from the ship itself. I want all the opportunities available to get that "Ultimate" shot. thanks again
Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM
We never did see the Northern Lights on our two trips up there....maybe bad timing....in some parts of Alaska they can be see over 200 days of the year....we see them occasional in Minnesota, mostly in the winter....early evening to early morning is when I've seen them...I did see them from an airplane a few years ago coming back from San Diego...over Colorado....Happy picture taking...and cruising...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, cruise, post, tips