Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 04:23 PM

We're on the starbord side cabin E310 & were getting the sun all day going. We'll miss it on the return.
Seas are still very calm with a slight chop.
Horizon buffet food is very good.
Anytime seating lat night was SLOW. We arrived at 5:40, had a table for two & it took us almost 2 hours for diner. If tonight is another repeat, I think we'll eat at the buffet for most of out meals.
Great lecture given today & scheduled for the rest of the trip on Hawaiian culture, things to do, etc. given by Dr. Bob Basso. He points oout where all the great shoping bargans can be had- Walmart. Also he'll be on the dock at each port to direct pax where to go for the free busses to the shoping.
Hardly anyone using any of the pools. It's still to cool.
I met BobO & many of the regulars who post on Cruise Critic. There must have been 50 or more at the Wheelhouse lounge today for a get together.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:44 PM

I have to correct the last post I made. We're located in cabin E310 on the PORT side & getting the sun on the way to Hawaii. I believe it going to be the wrong side to see the volcano at night from our balcony. we'll have to join the crowd up on deck 14 at 3 AM (assuming conditions are OK) There was lots of heavy mist last night near the water although you could look up & see stars.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM
That's really funny, because I just pulled up the deck plans thinking I had made a mistake; I'm in B206, which I thought was portside but you saying E310 was starboard threw me into a panic. Anyway, thank you; you confirmed my planning was correct.
Sorry to hear about the dining room; leisurely is one thing--2 hours is a bit much. Hope it improves for you.
If you sail from Kona to Hilo you will be on the right(correct)side to see the volcano; of course port order can vary.
Enjoy!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:23 PM

It's a guess as to which side of the ship might be correct. It's up to the Captain as to which direction he'll go. We won't know until tomorrow about our trip. I suppose it depends on the winds. The on-board naturalist was going to ask him this evening.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:01 AM

Another cool morning in the Pacific- probable about 65 but the wind makes it feel colder. We went to the anytime dining room again last evening & sat a different table with 3 other couples & had good service. Total time was about 1 1/2 hours even with some people ordering extra desserts. Reserving at special table seems to be a quicker way of getting seated. There were two lines that formed at 5:30 waiting to get in the dining room & the reservation line zipped through the door & the while the non reservation line slowly proceeded in as they sat them at their request. We how have a group of compatable couples with seated at a table with a waiter who keeps the meal moving.
Ths ship is rocking a little today due to a headwind but the seas are still relatively calm condidering we're probably 1,100 miles from LA.
There are some special events being held today in tribute to Pearl Harbor day. There having a meeting of all Vets at 11:30 in the Wheelhouse bar. A movie "Pearl Harbor" The Eye Witness Story will be shown at 2:30 & the Captain will give a special speach at 7:30 this evening.

Although none of the crew has mentioned the outbreak of the Norovirus 3 weeks ago, you can see the concern is anyone even complains about not feeling well. They wanted to call the nurse for a women at the Pursors desk who had a slight cold. It's evident that they don't want to take another chance of an outbreak to begin. There are bottles of antimicrobial hand rinse positioned through the ship on every counter. I even borrowed a bottle & wiped down our room when we first arrived.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 AM

Hi RichC,

I am enjoying your reports. Hope they keep coming.

One question if you don't mind. I understand you are on port side. I wonder if it is comfortable on your balcony to hang out during the day given wind conditions etc? Also, is the Promenade deck (outside) OK for walks? Oops, I guess that is two questions.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 AM

To tell the truth, we havent been out on the balcony all thet much since it's been only about 68 degrees so far. You do get some shielding from the wind, but it's still cool. I'm sure we'll be using it much more as we approach Hawaii. We're still about 1,400 miles from Kona having gone 860 miles or so. Right now it's an overcast day with a slight drizzle (or possibly sea spray) so not many people are on the Promenade deck. There's no one in the out door pool & only 1 kid in the Lotus pool (water temp 78.2) There are a few people in the hot tubs in the Lotue area but the hot tubs in the main pool are roped off- They'll be open later for sure. The wind had picked up today to about 40 Knots with moderate seas. The ship is only rocking side to side slightly. More later after shuffleboard, if anybody shows up.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 PM

We'll it looks as though the Norovirus has hit on the Island Princess. To what degree I don't know but at the Horizon buffet thie afternoon no one was allowed to serve themselves for the first time. All salt & pepper shakers were removed from the tables as well as the sugar. The line to get in was exceptionally long but has dissapated by the time I left. Also no one was allowed back to the food area back through the exit & had to return to the enterance to get more food. It's not apparent that anything is wrong at the moment & the crew won't say a word (so far) but at dinner tonight I'll pry some info from out waiter.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:47 PM

Hi RichC,

The webcam shows choppy waters and dark clouds. Are you going through a storm?

Good luck with the virus. Hopefully, a false alarm.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:04 PM

I wouldn,t call it a storm but we're got heavy winds which are causing a lot of rocking. There are a few people begining to feed the affects. My wife had finally put on her patch.

As far as the Norovirus goes, they're making an announcement as I type- There have been an increasing number of Norovirus cases appearing throught the ship. They're asking everyone to wash their hands & also use the antibaterical lotion. At the buffet their serving all food to you, not allowing anyone to touch the serving spoons. All public bathrooms are braced open as to keep people from touching the door handles on the the way in & out. (and tonight is formal night) I imigine there will be lots of folks seasick by then as the rocking is getting worse as we go. Oh I forgot, there's no charge my the medical dept if you are treated.

Closed Thread

Tags
angeles, canada, conception, cruise, hawaii, los, march, november, pacific, point, rough, sailing, waters, weather, webcam