Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 06:27 AM

we are cruising on the Island Princess on Feb 10 2007. What weather conditions should I expect sailing from L.A. to Hawaii? I need to know what to pack. Will I need a raincoat for Hilo?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:20 PM

You will be pretty cool for the first two days, leaving California coast. Rough waters and windy. Rain in Hilo, probably! Have fun!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 AM

Hi When you say Rough waters...what exactly does that mean. I wear the seasick bracelets on calm seas! How rough is rough in the pacific? Is it rough all the way to Hawaii?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:58 PM

Took this cruise, and it was rough for the first 3 days. That part of the Pacific (a day off LA) is infamous for a rough patch, so expect it. And any trans-(anything) sailing is quite possible to have a few rough areas.

That being said, it's really great fun to board in the cool weather and gradually sail to the tropics. It's peaceful, the water is deep blue, and we saw dolphins and such. And the seas usually moderate after that one spot.

And who knows, some sailings are peaceful all the way across!!!

Have a great trip
Old 06-16-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
That part of the Pacific (a day off LA) is infamous for a rough patch, so expect it.
Its called the "potato patch". I used to sail out of Marina del Rey when I lived in LA. As a matter of fact, the area of the coast between LA and Santa Barbara, where it juts out, is called Point Conception. When QEII visited the West Coast a few years ago, she got off in LA, flew to Santa Barbara and met her yacht (I think it was called Britannia) there so that she wouldn't have to deal with the rough seas at Point Conception. But once you get past that it can be smooth as glass. The Spanish named that ocean, Pacific (translates into "calm" in English) for a reason.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 AM

Well it looks like I can sign off this cruise. I was prepared to book this cruise for December but I've already had my fill of rough seas when I did the SF to Mexican Riviera (10 days) back in April. Spending 3 of the 1st 4 days of the cruise with rough seas and staying inside the boat is not my idea of a fun time...guess I'll stay in the Caribean.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:46 AM

I'll be on the Island Princess leaving on Dec 5 & let you know how good or bad it was when I return.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:33 AM

We are on this same cruise leaving L.A. March 12, 2007 on the Island Princess, and I intend to post a diary when I get back. I have been watching the Island Princess on the webcam daily, and the seas look mild to me. I can't say how accurate the pics from the webcam are.

I have the same concerns, but we have decided to go ahead anyway. We are on Dolphin just back of midship on port side, so that should lessen the rocking somewhat if the seas get bad.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:43 AM

One more thought! There is a website which shows the forecasted wave size in the Eastern Pacific which you can check out. Go to: www.soest.hawaii.edu/buoy/ww3/hi_enp_mov

Don't look too bad to me!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:16 PM

The sea looks calm but the web cam doesn't show anyone on the splash pool. Strange?? - Unless there all in the Lotus pool keeping warm. Anyway, it'll feel nice to experience a little cool weather for a change. It's been hot here in SW Florida & I just finished cutting the lawn which should be OK for the next two weeks.

Closed Thread

Tags
angeles, canada, conception, cruise, hawaii, los, march, november, pacific, point, rough, sailing, waters, weather, webcam