Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2006, 04:14 PM

We are planning an Alaskan cruise for May 2007 on the Diamond Princess. We would like a mini-suite. They are only available on Emerald deck 8 and Dolphin deck 9. It appears the lifeboats are on deck 8. Does that mean that the view on deck 9 might be overlooking the tops of the boats? Would we be better off to try deck 10 and give up the mini-suite?

Also, is the Diamond Princess a newer ship than the Island Princess? I couldn't find that info on their website.

We have only cruised on RCCL and Celebrity, so we aren't familiar with Princess.

Thank you.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:45 PM

The mini suites are not obstructed. The Diamond is newer than the Island.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Banned

The balconies on the Dolphin deck are fully exposed. There is no overhang from the balcony above. It may sound bad but you get a good unobstructed view of the sky at night. Look at a deck plan and you may be able to see how those balconies stick out from the rest of the ship.

Some disadvantages are there is no protection from the elements and there is no privacy as the people above can look down at you.

I think the suites above them are 50% covered so you get the best of everyhing, more cabin space and the option of sitting under the open sky or under the shelter of the balcony above. Plus the balcony furniture is teak with cushions instead of plastic.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:57 PM

My wife and I are scheduled on Diamond Princess Aug-5-2006 from Vancouver to Anchorage. Anyone have any helpful hints? We have done Carnival and RCCL in the past.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:22 PM

T-bone, Princess has two advantages, IMO, over the other 2 cruise lines you have already sailed with: 1) more experience in Alaska (they've been there longer) and 2) Personal Choice dining. We did the Personal Choice on a s. Carib. Princess cruise last year and really enjoyed it. A couple tips, if you have opted for it: go to the most out-of-the way dining room that participates in Personal Choice, as it will be less busy than the one(s) closer to the action. And be prepared to wait unless you eat early (before 6:15) or late (after 9). Alaska cruising can make for some long days, so Personal Choice would be my pick there too - gives you more flexibility about how long you can stay ashore in the ports.

Another tip - if you are not staying overnight in Anchorage after your cruise (or doing a land tour w/ Princess), and if you have booked your air through Princess, you may want to inquire very soon about "air deviation", which allows you to request specific flights. I've noticed that lots of flights leaving Anchorage for the lower 48 leave in the middle of the night (1 or 2 AM), which hardly makes for a restful experience!

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, balcony, choice, cruise, furniture, island, princess