Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Lost Luggage (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/29307-lost-luggage.html)

sjn 01-21-2008 12:43 PM

I disembarked from Diamond Princess on 1/17/08. One of my suitcases was missing. I don't know if it was lost by Diamond Princess or if someone picked it up by mistake. I am desparate to find my suitcase. If anyone picked it up in error please let me know.

TrvlPro 01-21-2008 12:52 PM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat! Sorry to hear of your lost bag and hope you can get it back. Have you notified the cruiseline and had them fill out a seach claim form? Also if there was a transfer involved you'll also want to reach the transfer company and do the same.

Cheers, Neil

sjn 01-21-2008 02:54 PM

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I did file a lost luggage report with Princess but their policy is to wait five days before you can file a claim. The suitcase was lost sometime between pick up outside the stateroom and delivery outside the ship. Our other luggage was there, just the one suitcase was missing. I've left messages with LAX Police lost and found in case someone did pick it up by mistake and took it to the airport, but they have not returned my call. Thanks again.

penny3333 01-22-2008 12:12 PM

Hi sjn, Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your luggage. Hopefully, you'll have the luck we did. I forgot one of our bags (ok, I'm getting old) in Port Everglades. I called the cruise line that evening as well as the port. They had found it and returned it to me within 3 days. On the paperwork they gave you, the day you disembarked, there should have been a phone number for you to call. It was also on our travel documents, back when they sent real ticket packets. I do hope you called the port. It really helped and I guess we were lucky. Hang in there and make sure they can get in touch with you.

sjn 01-22-2008 12:40 PM

Hello and thanks for responding. I only have the number provided by the cruise line and am trying to find the number for the port.

penny3333 01-22-2008 12:53 PM

Look on the Patter that they left in your room for the last day, the one with the color tags and times for departure, and the lounges. It should be on the front or back of that one. It will be in bold print, it says important phone numbers. If you have a ticket package, it is in there as well, but you have to search for it. Best wishes!

familycruisin 01-24-2008 08:06 PM

So sorry to hear about your luggage. I do hope you find the missing piece. But I wouldn't count on PRINCESS to help out too much. Their customer/ guest relations is not very good. I don't know why PRINCESS would tell you to wait 5 days before filing a claim????? It appears that they lost the piece and are just hoping that it shows up someplace. They don't want to actually "do" something now because that would require that someone at their offices actually do something to assist. If it was outside your room when you went to bed and not at the port when you arrived, chances are it is still on the boat somewhere. I hope PRINCESS finds it for you soon. It must be a helpless feeling knowing that no one at the cruiseline will assist you. Best of luck.

LisaP 01-25-2008 04:30 AM

Hi sjn, and welcome to cruise-chat.com. I am sorry that your first post was on the topic of lost luggage, and hope that it is found soon.

Same thing happened to my in-laws years ago, andit was returned to them. (Different line -- someone else had taken their bag mistakenly and contacted the cruise line as to how to return it.)

Penny's advice is excellent. Do you have the paperwork Penny noted? If not, perhaps someone who disembarked in LA (San Pedro?) recently can share it with you.

sjn 01-25-2008 09:33 AM

I HAVE CONTACTED PORT GROUND SERVICE ONLY TO GET A VOICEMAIL. NO RETURN CALL OF COURSE. PRINCESS HAS INFORMED ME TO WAIT FOUR WEEKS TO CONTACT THEM (AFTER RETURNING ANOTHER LOST LUGGAGE FORM). ACCORDING TO THE FORM, I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CHARGES TO RETURN MY LUGGAGE IF IT IS FOUND.I WONDER HOW MUCH IT WILL COST TO SHIP A 48# BAG THAT I DIDN'T LOSE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

TrvlPro 01-25-2008 10:15 AM

Good outside travel insurance won't take away the frustration of lost baggage. It will allow you to be reimbursed for the lost luggage, shipping costs and other expenses you may occur from travel mishaps like this. Good insurance is more than cancellation protection, it will cover this sort of thing (that happens all to often) as well.

I'm very sorry that you're going through this mess sjn. I hope in the long run they find and return your luggage in the condition you left it.

Cheers, Neil