Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:41 PM

We are planning a fall cruise and are torn between a 10 day Southern Caribbean on the Sun, or a 7 day Western on the Caribbean Princess. We did the 10 day last year and had a great time. Our only gripe was the DJ in the disco. Always wanted to play rap or hip-hop. Some of the music in the Wheelhouse was too slow. We like to dance, but not to rap or hip-hop. Has anyone sailed on both ships? If so, which did you like better? Also, inside or balcony?? We have always had an inside. Sailed on Grand, Dawn and Sun, although, got an upgrade to an oceanview on the Grand. We are ready to book, so any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:00 AM

We've only been on the Sun, Dawn, and Sea. Getting ready for our 2nd on the Sun in October. The Caribbean was in Port Everglades when we left, she is absolutely beautiful. She's larger than the Sun. We also had a port with her and I met some people that were on her. They had nothing but rave reviews. I'm still sailing for itineraries because I want to cover as many islands as possible, plus I like 10-14 day cruises. The only consolation I could tell you is that they rotate DJs as well as their crew. The balconies are wonderful. I really enjoy the sunrise with my first cup of coffee on our private balcony. It's wonderful listening to the ocean at night. I open the door and it sure puts me to sleep. I love the sailaways from the balcony as well as watching them sail into port. When I'm getting ready for dinner, I pull the hair dryer out on the balcony and watch the ocean. It is a wonderful way to further enjoy an awesome vacation. However if I have to make a choice of cruising and taking an inside or a balcony and no cruise, I'll take the cruise every time. I'm sure there have been many out there that have sailed on the Caribbean, so you'll probably get a better answer. Hope you have a marvelous time which ever cruise you decide to take!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:59 PM

Thanks, Penny. Still not sure. Looking for the best deal. Did the 10 day on the Sun last year, and had a great time. Also did a 10 day on the Dawn the year before. Both were inside cabins. We like Princess because of two things: Personal Choice dining and fresh water pools. I do not believe any other cruise line has fresh water pools. This is a big deal for us, as we like to swim. So, still deciding. Hoping to cruise in October. Which cruise are you taking on the Sun?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 AM

We're doing the 10 day sailing October 21st. We go to Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, Martinique, St. Thomas and Princess Cay. I'm going to wait to get on board to book next year's since they give you $200 shipboard credit when you book on board. We're going to do the 10 day on the Emerald on either 11/6 or 11/16. I'll probably decide once I see Antigua. If it has great snorkeling, then we'll visit again next year. Otherwwise, we'll do the itinerary with BonAire and Dominica both of which have great snorkeling. Too bad I don't have the money to do any number of cruises we want. Which ever ship you decide on, I know you'll have a wonderful time!!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Well, Penny, we booked the Sun for October 11. Same itinerary as last year. Not a problem. We were going to book the 21st, but nothing available in the category we wanted. Countdown started!!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:24 PM

Penny, just changed our trip. We are now going on the Sun 10 day, October 21. Same ship as last year, but different itinerary. Maybe we'll see you!! Booked an outside guarantee. So, not sure where we'll be just yet.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:42 AM

Excellent, maybe we could meet for a drink. I've booked a sail/snorkel for Antigua and Grenada (through Princess). In St. Thomas we'll either do Coki beach or go to Trunk Bay in St. John. Still debating on Martinique whether I want to do a sail/snorkel or just go to the beach there. A lady I work with is from St. Lucia and her family still lives there. She's going to give me a beach with good snorkeling if she can find one close to where we dock. I've been doing the double digit dance for a while. I almost booked the Queen Mary 2 for December 16. We could have done a back-to-back. We just can't get enough vacation time to cover 3 cruises in a year. Maybe they'll run the same special next year. Best wishes and hope to see you on board!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 AM

Thanks, Penny. Still looking for the best excursions on this cruise. Haven't been to any of the islands except St. Thomas. We like to swim and snorkel. Any comments on which island is the best for both? Already did snorkeling at St. Thomas as well as Magen's Bay. Any comments?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:23 PM

I've been in Grenada twice, the first time I did a land tour to the rain forest and a quick stop at Grand Anse beach. The second time, I just went to Grand Anse. The beach is beautiful and the water was great, but there wasn't any snorkeling. Just saw a couple of broken beer bottles and some bait fish. That's why I booked the sail/snorkel through Princess, I don't know where the good snorkeling spots are. I've never been in Antigua, there was a post about Long beach, but that's all I've seen. So I booked a sail/snorkel through Princess. St. Lucia we've been to 3 or 4 times. Last year they cancelled our snorkel, so we did a land tour. That took us to a nice waterfall that was a hard climb up/down a side of a mountain. It had been raining a lot, some roads were washed out, and it poured that day. The tour was ok, but I would much rather have snorkled. Sharla (a girl I work with who's family lives in St. Lucia) is supposed to give me a name of a beach for good snorkeling that is close to the port. The sail/snorkel that Princess is offering in Martinique is one we did before. They take you to a bat cave and then snorkeling in a cove. The snorkeling was pretty good. I've not booked that excursion yet, we may just go to the beach by the pier. Haven't decided. If you haven't done Trunk Bay (St. John-across from St. Thomas) it's a definite one to check out--absolutely beautiful. Or maybe a sail/snorkel to Buck Island, the snorkeling is great. Did you do Coki beach or Sapphire beach in St. Thomas? Those are nice beaches as well. We're getting closer!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the input Penny. No, we haven't been to Coki Beach or Sapphire beach. But, definitely thinking of doing St. John's. I've heard alot about how nice the snorkeling is there. Like to do a little shopping as well. Our daughter is getting married next May and we'll need liquor for the reception. Probably buy our allowed purchases at St. Thomas. They seem to have the best prices. Last year, we really got some liquor deals in Isla Margarite.
Again, thanks for the input.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, sun