Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Hi,
We've been on six cruises but will do our first on Princess March 7 (15-day Panama).

Royal Caribbean has three categories of dress code: formal, smart casual and casual. Smart Casual on RCI is sports jackets and ties for men.

Princess has two categories: formal and smart casual. Their website doesn't specifically mention jackets or ties.

Question: Can my husband take his tux for formal nights and leave his sports jacket at home? Would he feel out of place if he wore polo shirts and dress pants or Dockers?

Sorry if you've heard this question 100 times before but, as I said, it's our first time on Princess! and a girl is trying to pack lighter to make room for shoes! (Just kidding, but kinda true.)
Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM

HI Love to Cruise! Your not alone, I have a question in regards to this too! On RCCL on formal nights do the men have to wear ties? We are on a 4 night cruise! My DH likes to wear the shirts that bottom to the top (low collar, there very dressy) with a sports coat! He is not a big fan of ties????
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 02-27-2008, 11:33 AM

From the Cruise Critic website"

Hope that Helps...Jackie
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Jackie,

While your post probably helped, you copied and pasted information from another website - which is not allowed per our Terms Of Service.

Sorry, but we have to stay within the law.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:12 PM

I'm going to voice my opinion of the dress code that's probably not shared by others in this forum from what I've read in the past. Formal on Princess for me is a jacket with matching pants, open shirt with no tie & dress shoes. Casual is a pair of Dockers with a 3 button shirt (golf shirt). Both myself & my wife pack lite & don't wish to dress to the extreme in order to partake of the dr fare. There are plenty of people dressing with tuxes & gowns on Princess but I've found that to be the exception these days. If you feel the need to dress on formal nights, go for it, but nothing will ever be said if you don't. We've been casual for years & enjoying it.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Actually Rich, the only difference between you and me is that I do wear a tie with the jacket. Other than that we are in agreement. My casual dress is dockers and a golf shirt, with leather deck shoes.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Love to Cruize, I concur with everything RichC says. Whatever you and your husband are comfortable with is right. A tux is nice on formal night but a suit or blazer and slacks is fine too; a tie is never a requirement. Dockers and a polo are fine for smart casual. I like Hawaiian or resort type shirts myself.

I'm actually taking the same cruise as you in April. I've found that warm climate cruises like the Canal tend to be more relaxed and casual. I'm taking a dark suit, a blazer, several dress slacks, a couple of dress shirts and ties, and 3-4 Hawaiian shirts. I like a jacket and tie at least a couple of nights.

Have a great cruise, and let us know how it goes. I'd especially like to hear about your shore excursions, as there are some ports on this itinerary that we are seeing for the first time.

Rick
Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 PM

Oops! Sorry I believe in being a law abiding citizen.

Thanks Dave
Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM

It will be interesting to see if dress codes on ships in the future are affected by the changes with airlines. Two airlines now have announced $25 charges for a 2nd piece of checked luggage. Could cut down on a lot of people's packing habits. My roommate on my 12nt Baltic cruise in 2005 brought 12 pairs of shoes. She needed an extra bag just for the shoes!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 PM

If I pack any lighter I'll be traveling with only the clothes on my back.
All kidding aside, I'm sure lots of folks will think twice about packing the full length garment bag or the extra 5 pair of shoes that they'll probably never ware. My wife & I both learned years ago after many cruises that we didn't need 2/3 of the stuff we used to take & these days we both travel with a 1 carry on suit case each + a back pack for me & a large carry bag for my wife. If I were to spill something on my only pair of Dockers I would use my dress pants until the laundry came back.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, casual, code, cruise, cruises, dinner, dress, jacket, men, rcl, review, royal, shoes, smart, sports