Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 AM

In recent years we've never had a unexpected upgrade on Princess even as an Elite passenger & didn't really expect one although we did get an additional $25 cabin credit. With the ships being almost sold out on most trips I couldn't see how the cruise line could do it anyhow. The customer service dept has never answered any of my emails & I've about given up for a response & have just asked my questions on our next cruise. The crews on ALL of our Princes ships couldn't be more friendly or helpful & I couldn't see how anyone would have a problem with the service. Perhaps RCI or Celebrity will give more preferential treatment to past cruisers.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I, like RichC, am an Elite Captain's Circle member, and have never received or expected an upgrade. I never book a gurantee catagory--I book the exact cabin I want.

I have never tried to e-mail customer service. The few issues I've had over the years were always resolved to my complete satisfaction with one or two calls to their 800 number.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 PM

On the last "upgrade" that we received from Princess they stuck us in cabin A201 on the Star Princess. Nice cabin if you like to walk a lot with a good view of the bridge.
btw- another perk of being an Elite member is the wine tasting (not as thought I'm a wine connoisseur). On both the Caribbean P & the Grand we received the after diner liquor glasses. I just go & get my glass & cut out. My wife has a set of 8 so far.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM

HAL and Carnival are the best about providing unexpected upgrades to past pax. CCL creates a number of promotions where it happens at the time of booking. With HAL it happens most frequently with Guar status bookings but they have a little box in the booking engine where you can be considered for upgrades (even if you have an assigned cabin) or decline them if you like the cabin assigned. With most other lines upgrades can happen but are rarer and happen most times with Guar only. Be very careful with Costa if you don't choose your cabin. I recently had three elderly couples that booked an inside Guar above the bunkbed possible category 1A to assure that would not be an issue. What happened? They got upgraded to a Cat 6A which on Costa is a window cabin but back in bunkbeds. They even have some cabins on some ships that have bunkbed configuration in 8A balconies. The call from the ship from an 80+ yr old couple saying they were given bunkbeds and have no other cabins available is not a call any T/A wants to recieve. I was able to purchase two significanly higher category cabins and pay the difference (the agency paid it, not the client or cruiseline) to get two of the three cabin situations resolved. For the third there was no other cabin available even with no shows at the pier. A roll away cot was the only sollution. So be careful about doing a Guar on any Costa ship with these multiple categories that have bunks, you never know what you'll end up with and they won't notify you or your agent if they assign a bunk. You'll find out aboard the ship when it may be too late to resolve.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM
When you say, "go and get your glasses", where do you go? This is new to me. Do you mean at the wine tasting? If so, I'll have to go next time.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 PM

I think upgrades are more luck of the draw than anything else. Our first time of the Pride in 02, we were upgrade 3 times before we got our final cabin. Twice while on board and finding out our assigned room was already booked and the people had checked in.
We have not been upgraded on any of our other cruises. When a ship is full it is hard to change your cabin.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
When you say, "go and get your glasses", where do you go? This is new to me. Do you mean at the wine tasting? If so, I'll have to go next time.
The glasses I was referring to are the given out at the end of the wine tasting secession in one of the dr's. They started it some time back for Elite members as a free invitation but I never bothered to go since wine tasting is not my thing. (if it tastes good it's OK by me).
There given out with a cognac & you get to keep the glass. The glass is only 4 1/2 inches high with a heavy colored round glass base. If I could figure out how to post a photo I'll do so.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Thank's again, RichC; I've never been to one of the wine tastings--like you, I'm not that fussy; I just ask for the wine steward's recommendation and I've never been disappointed yet. But I do like cognac, so I'll try the next one.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM

TrvlPro--Thanks for the heads up on the bunk beds issue. I have another one to add: STAIRS!

We usually book Guar. Rate and have had some very nice upgrades, especially 2 on NCL Sun from Inside to Oveanview... but one of those rooms was on a deck that was a half-flight of stairs between decks 6 and 7 called deck 6A. It was fine for us but we didn't know ahead of time and it could have been a disaster for someone else. If we got bunk beds we'd just laugh and have a good time anyway but we're able enough to put up with it, and for someone else it could ruin their vacation.

Carnival also has a lot of ships with bunk bed rooms but I think all are in the lowest catagory.

Yes! We must do the homework first to investigate worst case senarios for a given ship if we're going to take a pig-in-a-poke cheap rate with a Guar. catagory and be aware of our limitations! But it can be a big savings and it allows us to take longer cruises for the money. On the NCL Sun we did a back-to-back and sailed for 2 weeks for $100 more per person than what a balcony room was going for. It was great even though we had to change rooms at the end of the first week. I'd love to do it again...but not booked on anything yet this year, yet...

Closed Thread

Tags
address, bad, common, complaints, compliant, contact, cruise, cruises, customer, customers, letter, lines, loyal, princess, service, upgrade