Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 06:57 PM

My wife and I will celebrate our joint retirements while on-board the Star Princess Dec. 3, 2007, sailing from Rome to Ft.Lauderdale.
Our biggest mistakes pre-cruise involve booking through the cruise line and then believing they have credibility and honesty.
As an elite member of Princess Cruises and 38 prior cruises, the only reason why we didn't book with our travel agent is that she has retired.
We had problems with a South America booking in 2006 and they refunded our entire trip cost less than 30 days out from embarkation. We decided to give Princess another try.
Some problems in the booking of this cruise were met with the offer of a $200/pp on-board credit. We asked for a simple upgrade from inside to outside. We received no reply.
We asked three more times for them to respond. Finally we wrote to the main lady in charge of the department. She passed it along to an underling who said, "we never offered anything." That letter just hit us today--five days before the cruise.
We'll have a good time anyway--but will never set foot on another Princess ship. Proverbially, they "lie like a rug."

=======================
Cunard, QM 2
Holland America, Nieuw Amsterdam, Rotterdam
NCL, Norway, Norwegian Dream
Celebrity, Infinity
Princess, Fairwind, Regal,
RCCL, Legend of the Seas
Other now defunct lines, and several sailings upon vessels listed
RCCL

Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm getting the sense that some rather important details are being left out. What exactly do you mean by, "problems in the booking . . ."? A $200 pp onboard credit hardly equates to an upgrade from inside to outside on a 17 day cruise; especially just before Christmas. It sounds to me like you rejected their offer and made an unreasonable counter offer; and nothing was ever actually settled.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't consider an upgrade from inside to outside to be "simple" or normal regardless of loyalty status.

Please note that I have also edited this message and it's title to remove the name of the Princess employee. We do not want the names of people used here without their permission, even if those names can be found at a company website. The point can be made without name-dropping, which is little more than a backdoor attack on the person.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 PM

I think you are missing the most important point and that is one of BASIC COURTESY. When you are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation, ANY request that you make as a customer deserves a response. That is called "customer service", or you could call it simple "decency". We have found Princess Cruises to have the worst customer service of any of the cruise lines. They are rude and arrogant as veterancruiser39 has discovered. A letter, phone call, fax or email to the customer would have at least addressed his/ her request no matter how unreasonable some may think it was. PRINCESS IS BAD, VERY BAD!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:30 AM

I was explained that cruise ships do sell out and it is almost impossible an upgrade few days prior the cruise.. however, I do think that cruise companies need to follow up with their passengers!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by familycruisin:
I think you are missing the most important point and that is one of BASIC COURTESY. When you are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation, ANY request that you make as a customer deserves a response. That is called "customer service", or you could call it simple "decency". We have found Princess Cruises to have the worst customer service of any of the cruise lines. They are rude and arrogant as veterancruiser39 has discovered. A letter, phone call, fax or email to the customer would have at least addressed his/ her request no matter how unreasonable some may think it was. PRINCESS IS BAD, VERY BAD!
Although I agree with familycruisin about the simple decency of a reply I'm going to do something that's completely new for me and stand up for PCL customer Service. Never thought I'd ever do that as I agree that their service off the ship (at their corporate Office level) was at one time the worst in the industry and is still in need of improvement.

When a cruise is in penalty the cruiseline is not in a position to have to offer anything for "issues". Sounds like there had become a patern of issues for the original poster. A South America sailing that PCL ate the penalty on. Now another issue with a request for compensation because "I have 38 cruises with them" (implying that now the poster deserves special treatment). You'd be amazed how often the "I'm a past cruiser with X sailings" is used as leverage almost as a threat in many cases. First of all, that is the worst way to approach a company that has tens of thousands of past passengers and future passengers are every bit as important to their business, maybe more so since they know the loyal past client likes their product already and has a pre-disposition to sail with them over their competition. They hold all the cards in the matter being addressed, you're asking for them to make an exception to the norm when you ask for special treatment for an issue. They offered compensation, again, they didn't have to make the offer. The offer they made was rejected in an attempt to get more, a free upgrade. They should have responded to the counter offer, no doubt. By this point though I understand the cruiselines position that now there would be no compensation, nothing is good enough. They gave a full refund on a prior sailing, WAY above and beyond in a full penalty situation to keep them happy once (this is very, very rare indeed). Then the very next sailing there are more requests for special treatment. PCL again goes above and beyond and makes an offer that the client rejects. At some point PCL has to decide this client is unreasonable and worth losing. Not knowing many details I'm not saying their decision was the right one but if I were in the position they were in with the record of notes in the system showing a patern like this I'm not sure I'd have done a thing different other than, I'd have responded. The result would have no doubt been the same. A client who felt I was in the wrong and he was far more valuable than the rules in place and he'd have still written bad things about me on here and moved on.

I've criticized princess Customer Service on here before myself. It was horrible just a short time ago, the worst in the industry by far. They have made some changes recently and are beginning to show they do care about the issue and are addressing it. They have implimented a new survey system for incoming calls to track the performance of their agents. They have softened theor tone of snapping at clients and outside agents who ask for special consideration for issues that sometimes arise and need to be addressed. They don't immediately read the script from the screen when you ask for personalized attention to something. They actually get a supervisor involved to discuss the situation. They are by no means the best out there for customer service... yet. But they are trying like never before. I give them credit for recognizing there was a problem and making a sincere effort to address and fix it. Sorry for writing a book on the subject.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-26-2008, 10:18 AM

This is a strange post. Why should the cruise line give the OP an upgrade? Being Elite is certainly no reason since there are many of us in that category. If the terms of the booking specified an upgrade to an outside cabin than its a valid complaint. Otherwise its a nothing. We have seen passengers on several cruise lines expect to be treated special just because they are frequent cruisers. We ourselves have been on more than 60 different ships, and have very high status in several repeater clubs, but have never been given an upgrade that was not specifically promised as a condition of booking.

Hank
Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 AM

Thank you Hank for that post. You're the kind of client your T/A loves to have and deal with! There are a few out there who think they deseve special recognition and goodies each and every time they book and nothing is ever good enough. Fortunately they are the minority. I'd like it a lot if all my clients were Hanks and fewer veterancruiser39s. The give me more, I'm special and I'm never satisfied mentality gets really old quickly.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 AM

It seems at one time upgrades were an exception and pleasant surprise. Now their "expected" and reason for irateness if not given.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator

A cruise line has an obligation to provide the same cruise experience and level of service to every passenger - whether it is their first cruise with the line or their 100th. Both paid their money. Repeaters should not expect anything more than what is promised to them for being a loyalty club member.

Closed Thread

Tags
address, bad, common, complaints, compliant, contact, cruise, cruises, customer, customers, letter, lines, loyal, princess, service, upgrade