Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 05:30 PM

I am an experienced cruiser on both Holland America and Royal Carribean lines throughout the Carribean. I will be on my first Alaskan cruise this September on the Diamond princess. Does anyone have any suggestions on what excursions are good to do? I am willing to spend the money if it will be a good experience.

Thanks for your input!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:00 PM

Steff, first of all check out www.AlaskaPortReviews.com for a ton of reviews and information about each port you are visiting.

The satisfaction rate of Alaska shore excursions is excellent and you can't go wrong no matter what you do. It just depends on what your personal tastes are. If money is no object, here is what I would choose to do.

Juneau: Helicopter tour of Mendenhall Glacier with a glacier landing and then shopping, followed by drinking at the Red Dog Saloon.

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords Float Plane trip with a landing, followed by shopping and maybe salmon fishing off the Creek Street Bridge (September is prim salmon fishing time) It is catch and release and you can rent a rod and a buy a one day fishing license right by the creek.

Skagway, I would do the White Pass Railroad tour followed by a hike to wer Dewey lake, followed by a shopping tour of Skagway and drinking at one of the local bars.

Shopping will be fantastic for all items, as the shops are discounting by at least 50% to turn their inventory over before the end of the season (mid-September)

Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 AM

Steff, you can't go wrong with Alaska! My mother, who has been all around the world in many different places, says Alaska is the most beautiful place in the world. Expect your cruise experience to be different from the Caribbean, in that you may want to spend more time on deck just watching the scenery go by! The scenery is nonstop. For that reason, I'd recommend getting a cabin with balcony, or at the very least, one with a window. And in September you won't have the near-24 hours of daylight, more like what we in the lower 48 consider normal day length for warmer weather, so you may be able to tear yourself away from the scenery to eat dinner and attend the shows. Go for it!
Old 04-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Steff,
I have done Alaska twice with Princess. Last July was on the Diamond. You will love it, she is a real gem
Tom's suggestions are right on the money(of course) Having done many of them myself, I definitely would go for the helicopter in Juneau,save time for a drink in the Red Dog Saloon; Misty Fjord seaplace in Ketchikan & Skagway is the White Rail Pass.
Hopefully you have a balcony cabin.
Enjoy
Old 04-18-2005, 08:06 PM

Thank you to all for your suggestions. I do have a balcony suite- so at least I have the most important part (the scenery) taken care of.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:55 PM

We will be on the Diamond sept 3 to alaska. When arer you going?

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, diamond, excursions, fjords, glacier, hike, inside, misty, passage, princess, review, sept, september, shore