Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2002, 10:34 PM

I am wondering if anyone has an answer as to how or why Princess charges 150% to 200% port charges for a single occ. on their cruises. I would love to be able to have an answer to this question other than "it's Princess policy". The other cruise lines do not do this so why would my client be expected to pay port charges for 2 people and there is only one in the cabin? I booked a single person on the Diamond Princess and the port charges were $400 as opposed to $200pp for double occ.
Please help???
Thanks in advance
Kim Chuning
Kim's Kruises
kkruise7@aol.com
Old 10-03-2002, 10:34 PM

I am wondering if anyone has an answer as to how or why Princess charges 150% to 200% port charges for a single occ. on their cruises. I would love to be able to have an answer to this question other than "it's Princess policy". The other cruise lines do not do this so why would my client be expected to pay port charges for 2 people and there is only one in the cabin? I booked a single person on the Diamond Princess and the port charges were $400 as opposed to $200pp for double occ.
Please help???
Thanks in advance
Kim Chuning
Kim's Kruises
kkruise7@aol.com
Old 10-04-2002, 07:42 AM

Kim you may not like the answer that it is Princess policy but the fact is the do it because they can. Cruise lines will make money anyway they can for their stock holders. It may be a lousy answer but than many things that are done have lousy answers but it doesn't change things.

The only way you will get them to change the policy is by giving them enough complaints and obviously that has not happened at this point.

I agree it is wrong for them to charge the double port charge fee. I do think they will keep doing it because they can and it is their policy.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:35 PM

I received this from one of the best people that I know at Princess...now it makes more sense.

Kim - NCF are part of our fare - they are not port fees and Princess is one
of the only lines that, after a class action suit in FL, are quoting as we
are legally required to do. It is the part of the fare that we choose not
to pay commission on - so it isn't port fees and thus not related to head
count. If the single fare
is 160%, then we charge 160% of NCF - if it is 200% then so is NCF.
Hope this helps -
Old 10-04-2002, 05:36 PM

I find it very interesting (and puzzling) that Princess does not consider port charges as port charges, (which they must pay to various countries for docking) but as non commissionable fares which enables them to charge a 'single' cruiser twice. OK, so what about the US government taxes that are added to all cruise fares. In the case of a 'single' booking, does Princess charge double the government tax? If they do, then I think that the US Treasury would be interested to know what they are doing. Or have I misunderstood what the previous comments have indicated. Cruiseman
Old 10-06-2002, 08:42 PM

It makes perfect sense to me that a single passenger would be charged 200% for port fees. Port charges are determined by estimating the total cost of docking the ship in all ports during a cruise. This amount is then divide by the total passenger capacity of the ship. Your client is booking a double cabin as a single guest. The port fees are included in the cruise fare of typically 150 to 200% of double occupancy rate. You are most likely upset because Princess considers the fees to be non-commissionable. You client could care less because the port fee charges are already in the cruise fare. Kim you feel cheated because you are not being paid commission on the second set of port fees? Remember that Princess did not have to offer the space to your client. It would be better for them to have two guests in the stateroom.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, carnival, charge, charges, cruise, cruises, double, fee, kimkruises, line, ncf, noncommissionable, person, port, princess, single, tax