Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 AM

Hello, hello!. My friend loves the princess cruise line and last time she went (on the Grand Princess I think) she took some formal clothes but never needed them. She says capris and nice shirts is the norm now. Is that true?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:55 AM

The way one feels comfortable dressing on formal nights is usually the norm. There are those that love to dress to the nines, other not so. I sometimes wear tux's, most of the time a suit. Most ladies dress in an evening gown, though.

David Landry
Old 05-16-2005, 10:08 AM

We were on Golden Princess to the so. Carib. in Feb. and I was surprised how many passengers dressed up very formally - long gowns, tuxes, the works. I'd say at least 60% were dressed to the nines on formal night. Being my first time on Princess and also to the so. Carib., I can't say if the reason was the timing, the itinerary or the cruise line. Perhaps your friend went during a time when more families (instead of couples) were on board?
Old 05-16-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Vidora:
Hello, hello!. My friend loves the princess cruise line and last time she went (on the Grand Princess I think) she took some formal clothes but never needed them. She says capris and nice shirts is the norm now. Is that true?
Perhaps your friend ate up in the Horizon Court on Formal Nights?? Usually for 7 day cruises there are 2 formal nights, Welcome Gala & Farewell Dinner. Can't say I have ever seen anyone in capris.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:36 PM

We were on the Diamond during spring break. Just about everyone dressed for dinner on formal nights. Most men in suits, some in tux. Women for the most were in gowns, others in fancy dresses.
I was a little put out that the head waiter allowed a group in jeans and western style shirts to be seated. One knows what is exspected when getting on the ship and should abide. However it sure wasn't going to spoil my dinner or vacation. In my opinion getting dressed up is part of the fun
Old 05-16-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
. In my opinion getting dressed up is part of the fun
I definitely agree. I want to dress comfortably yet classy for other things, and maybe more rugged for shore excursions. My concern was that if there was not dress code any more then I think things might be a bit distasteful. I know I'm younger than some cruise passengers, but I would like to see people a little more put together than on the city beach, if you know what I mean.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 PM

I know and agree with you. I enjoy getting dressed up for dinner on a cruise, sort of a special occasion each night. And I am sure the wife, after spending hours to look her best, doesn't want to sit next to someone in jeans.

David Landry
Old 05-17-2005, 07:18 PM

I too agree & enjoy dressing for dinner
Old 06-22-2005, 06:04 PM

There are no longer semi-formal nights on most cruises--its either smart casual or formal. On the formal nights (2 for a 7 day cruise) most ladies wear cocktail dresses or evening gowns, while the men wear suits or tuxes. Feeling sophisticated and seeing others in their fancy clothes in the dining room is part of the fun. There are a few people who don't comply (maybe 10-15%)and were generally allowed to eat in the dining room anyway, but I would be embarrassed. I'm usually a casual person, but I thought in that fancy room, with dressed up people, they looked rather trashy and cheap.

If you wish to be casual the whole time it is possible to do it without ruining anyone else's fun by eating at the buffet, at a pizza place/grill (availability by ship) or room service. You can request the fancy food to be delivered to your room and they will bring it to you. This actually could be fun if you have a balcony, and want a romantic meal for the two of you. Oh,and the fancy food is available later in the evening at the Horizon Court too.

Bottom line is, please take the clothes that match the kind of experience you want to have, and thanks for considering others
Old 06-22-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Bottom line is, please take the clothes that match the kind of experience you want to have, and thanks for considering others
Wow, I don't think I have ever heard it put so succinctly. You have hit the nail on the ead with this statement. Most cruise lines offer the opportunity to do just that.

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
break, caribbean, cruise, cruises, dinner, formal, grand, lines, night, nights, princess, royal, ship, sophisticated, spring, wear