Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2002, 09:04 AM

Does anybody know if two-way radios work on a cruise ship when you are at sea or in a foreign port? We are cruising the Golden Princess with another couple and thought it would be a great way to stay in contact without having to stay together, especially since the Golden Princess is such a big ship. Thanks
Old 08-30-2002, 09:04 AM

Does anybody know if two-way radios work on a cruise ship when you are at sea or in a foreign port? We are cruising the Golden Princess with another couple and thought it would be a great way to stay in contact without having to stay together, especially since the Golden Princess is such a big ship. Thanks
Old 08-30-2002, 10:18 AM

I have not done it myself but I have seen and know of many people that take two way radios onboard cruise ships to keep in touch. Some ships have them for sale or to rent also. I have read in reviews where there sometimes is trouble with using them depending on where you may be on a ship but for the most part have heard they work fine.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:59 PM

We used some Motorola TalkAbouts on our last cruise on the Grand and they seemed to work well. However, depending on how far apart the radios are (and interior vs. exterior), sometimes it was difficult to make a connection.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:03 AM

We just returned from a 2 week cruise on the Celebrity Constellation. They asked that radios or phones not be used in the front half of the ship, as it affected navigational equipment. Constellation was a large ship also, 967 feet. We just made dates as to where and when we'd meet, and worked out fine. Have fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2002, 04:22 PM

We have been on diffeent cruise ships and I took tne radios that I have and they worked great, as long as noone elsewas on the sam e frequency. So take then and have fun.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:24 PM

We have been on diffrent cruise ships. I took the radios that I have and they worked great, as long as no one else was on the same frequency. So take then and have fun.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:04 PM

I personally think that the use of two way radios on cruise ships is a curse and,quite frankly, a disturbance that should not be allowed. There is nothing more irritating than being exposed to other people's conversations on walkie talkies throughout all areas of a cruise ship, particularly in those locations where people like to relax (spa areas), or in the show lounge during a performance! Also, to hear children using foul language on the radios is NOT something that I look forward to when my wife and I go cruising.
There are only four channels that are authorized (so I am led to believe) with the result that if you own a radio you will most likely be receiving messages that are not intended for you.
If I could pass one regulation on a cruise ship it would be to ban the two way radios forever.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:25 PM

I would not go anywhere without my Motorola Talkabouts. They have reunited our party many times when we got separated on shore. Just use courtesy and discretion around other guests. I for one don't like cell phone conversations in my presence. I guess I am old fashioned and consider it rude. Having said that, the radios can be invaluable if you get lost or separated from your party. We were a group of four - the wife and I - and our son and daughter-in-law. We only used them to find each other on the ship or on shore. No idle chit-chat. You can set a privacy code/channel to get away from the common 14 channels. You still have to consider anything you say can be monitored by others - so no foul language, etc.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:31 PM

Cruisman...get a life...find something else to whine about!!

I think the two way radios are a fine idea for a large family or group of friends. I am a ham radio operator, and although a 'ham' license is not needed for these, I recommend the Motorola FRS 14 channel units. These work fine. Be careful as they may be somewhat limited from inside certain areas of the ship...a lot of metal will greatly decrease transmitting range. Have fun!

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, cruise, cruises, foreign, frequencies, golden, ports, princess, radio, radios, rents, reviews, sea, ship, ships, twoway, work