Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 11:26 AM

Hi, my father and I are doing Sydney to Auckland cruise on Sapphire Princess on February 28th and I'm just wondering if the seas are rough heading over Bass Straight to Tasmania?

thanks,
Brett
Old 12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Hello tattboi26 and welcome to Cruise-Chat,
the best answer I can give is, "could be!' I did the same trip (in reverse order) in 2002 and it was smooth all the way from Auckland to Sydney. But I've heard others say it can be pretty rough.
However of more concern than Bass Strait would be the Tasman Sea itself; rather notorious for high seas. I crossed in February with no problem, but there was a guest lecturer aboard who had photos of an earlier crossing that were pretty unsettling--waves crashing over the bow--I was surprised Princess let him show those photos; kind of like having "United 93" for the in-flight movie.
Anyway, my advice would be to pay attention to the ship announcements concerning weather and seas; they are good about giving you advance warning. Use a patch or dramamine and don't wait until it gets bad--then it's too late. Most important, don't worry about it and have a great trip. It was one of my best ever.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:07 PM

as f-mattox said - it can be. It was quite rough for our trip but saying that I am a very bad sailor and only missed one meal through rough weather on this trip. It was rough from Fiordland to Tasmania and then from when we left the north coast of Tasmania until we got to Melbourne. Mummsie

Mummsie

past cruises
P&O Arcadia 1974
Sapphire Princess January 2005
Pacific Princess December 2005
Superstar Gemini July 2006

Future cruises
Pacific Princess 21 January 2007
Norwegian Sun 6th May 2007

Closed Thread

Tags
bass, cruise, rough, straight, strait