Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 08:49 PM

Hi - my friend and I decided to book the Grand Princess Dec 2, 2006 cruise (western Carib). We were given the choice of oceanview w/ balcony or mini-suite w/ balcony. Has anyone been on both and which is better than the other? I noticed from the floor plans that the mini-suite has a "living" area, smaller balcony and tub/shower. The location that's available in mini-suite is on the aft end of Emerald deck - which is directly above the stage. How loud can it get having a room directly above the stage? Which room has the best view from different levels? Any comments, input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:25 AM

Laine,

As of this point I have not yet been on the Grand or ever stayed in a mini-suite.
But, will be on the Grand in July & have been on sister ships.
Cabin selection is always up for debate. Some say do not spend the money for balcony/suites, while others go for it.
Most do not spend a lot of time in the cabin to require living space per say. But, always nice to have the room.
Aft cabins are usually sought after by most. However, I would think you may hear some right above the stage. Most suites are aft with the wrap around balcony.Offering great views of course.
I stayed in an aft cabin, but, higher up on Aloha. Did hear an occassional deck chair early mornings being dragged & set up.
Most balcony cabins I have had have been on Deck 12 - Aloha. While Carib balconies can offer a larger sized balcony.

Hope this helps. Good Luck with your decision.
I am sure you will get more opinions.

Happy Holidays!

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 12-19-2005, 03:26 PM

Just returned from a lovely vacation on the grand last week. We had a room with a balcony on Baja near the aft. It was a very nice room and the extra money for the balcony is worth it. We had no noticeable noise but were pretty far up from the action. We just booked the same cruise leaving Dec. 2, 2006 also so maybe we will see you!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:46 PM

I have been in both a balcony and a mini-suite room. Take the mini-suite if you can afford it. Having the tub with the shower even if you don't take baths is worth every penny. The tiny showers that are in all the rooms except the mini-suites and suites are a huge hassle for me. I'm constantly banging my elbows or other body parts and end up with ton's of bruises. Princess doesn't have their shower heads on movable hoses like some other cruise lines so it's difficult to rinse where I need rinsing.
Also my husband and I are the types who like to spend alot of time in the room. We take naps and watch TV and lounge about acting like we're on vacation.
Norwegian Gem 2007 (Transatlantic)
Island Princess 2007 (Hawaii)
Caribbean Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2006 (Coastal)
Island Princess 2006 (Coastal)
Splendour of the Seas 2006 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2005 (Hawaii)
Rhapsody of the Seas 2005 (Caribbean)
Sapphire Princess 2005 (Mexico)
Caribbean Princess 2004 (Caribbean)
Star Princess 2004 (Europe / Transatlantic)
Golden Princess 2003 (Caribbean)
Golden Princess 2003 (Transatlantic)
Golden Princess 2003 (Transatlantic)
Monarch of the Seas 2002 (Caribbean)
Rhapsody of the Seas 2000 (Mexico)
Old 12-26-2005, 02:36 PM

I have to agree with all that seethesea said. However my wife an I have had both minis and balconys on the Golden (Grand's sister ship. We have found the mini is great but we would just as soon have a balcony and spend the money else where. Hey crusing offers something for everyone that's what is great about it.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:22 PM

We are sailing Feb 4th on the Grand, our minisuite is one of the last ones on the Emerald deck. I will be glad to give you my input when I return. I can email over some pics if interested, my email is enright@magma.ca
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983