Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 05:06 PM

okay the more i read, the more i get confused.

Formal dining
tradition dining
personal choice dining

what is the difference?
i'm not sure what my husband picked(well actually he just picked what everyone else in our party picked) and we are all first timers, so now i'm worried that we didn't make the right choice.
all i know is that we are in the first seating at 6---does that sound right

oh and one more thing is it better to be first or second.

sorry, again i'm a novice and want to learn everything and anything i can before we set sail in June for Alaska(sun princess)
Old 01-29-2007, 06:31 PM

You have the Traditional dining. You will have dinner every night at 6 in the same dining room, the same table, and have the same waiter and assistant waiter. I personally like being able to walk right in and sit down at my table without waiting. I also like getting to know my waiters. Early or late is a personal preference. I prefer early. Many others like late dining because they believe it gives them more time to get back from port and prepare for dinner. Late dinner isn't until about 8-8:30PM so it also means you will not be finishing your meal until about 10:00pm. The Personal Choice dining is at a designated dining room and you can show up anytime during the hours that restaurant is open. You will have a different waiter every night, and sit at a different table. The menu should be the same as in the Traditional dining restaurant. I'm not sure if by Formal dining you mean formal nights or the reservation only restaurants. On a seven night cruise there will be two nights designated Formal. It is your choice if you want to dress up or not. Most people that do not want to dress up on the formal night eat at the buffet area on the Lido (pool) deck. There also are the reservation only restaurants which require a reservation and charge a nominal fee. They are small intimate restaurants and have a special menu.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 AM

thanks for clearing that up.

i'm sure between now and june i will have a lot more questions, i'm glad that i found a place to ask!

again, thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Normally, if you are traveling with a group, it is better to have traditional seating. That way, you are guaranteed the same table, same waiter each night. Since my husband and I travel alone, we prefer the personal choice dining. It gives us the opportunity to meet new people. On one cruise, we chose traditional seating and were seated with some of the most rude people I have ever met. Always complaining about one thing or another. Who wants to listen to that when on vacation? We actually went to the head waiter after about two nights and requested another table. He cordially sat us at another table. So, since that ordeal, we now choose personal choice dining. If we happen to meet a couple we spend the rest of the cruise with, we then meet at the dining room and are seated together. It works for us.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 PM

"Anytime" dining gives you the best of both worlds. You can just walk in and be seated, sometimes with a wait just like at land restaurants, either by yourselves or with others. You can decide what time you want to dine and if you want to dine with others. If you like to have the same waiter, time, and a table you can request a standing reservation with them each evening. Even if you are traveling with a group "anytime" dining works great and there is no need to choose traditional dining.

Traditional dining is at an assigned time, table, and with an assigned wait staff and table mates. This is great if....you enjoy the entire assignment but if not it can make for a very long cruise.

Personal choice dining is the right to choose when and where you wish to dine. This can range from traditional, "anytime", Horizon Court or specialty restaurant to room service.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 AM

Not that I'm a big fan of traditional dining, since pc dining offers more flexibility, but on traditional Princess dining they still offer the Cherries Jubilee and Bananas Foster deserts which they have dropped from the pc dining menu. They are usually prepared for a different section of the dining room on staggered evenings.

Closed Thread

Tags
choice, cruise, fjords, norwegian, personal, ryndam, versus