Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 AM

I noticed references in various posts to being able to preview which cabins were available for specific cruises.

We are on a 42 day cruise next year on Dawn Princess which I havent sailed on before. We have been allocated cabin Cat BB Cabin B508. Is this a good selection (I am told the minisuites are already gone). Also where can I find this site to check out what is left. I am worried not about the ship as everyone seems to like her but the comments about the size of the cabins.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 AM

Hi rugbypopsie, if you go to www.princess.com and click on Ships, then the Dawn, then deck plans, select your deck (Baja), it will show you where you are. You're on the Baja Deck, cabin 508, which is about mid-ship and close to the elevators. It's a great location. I hope you enjoy the Dawn as much as we did. She's a beautiful ship, easy to get around, and when we were on her-wonderful food! I'd love to do a 42 day cruise, but I don't think my boss would let me off that long, dang it! Best wishes for a wonderful cruise!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rugbypopsie:

Also where can I find this site to check out what is left. I am worried not about the ship as everyone seems to like her but the comments about the size of the cabins.
Good question. I've often wondered that myself. It seems that checking the Princess web site won't do much good & if you check the online TA's they only get a handful of cabins to sell at a time.
What would annoy me is selecting a cabin which was the best at that time (say 10 months ahead of time) only to find 3 months before sailing that there are another handful of cabins made available. If you find any info. please post it.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
It seems that checking the Princess web site won't do much good & if you check the online TA's they only get a handful of cabins to sell at a time.
Princess' online booking engine for travel agents (as well as most other cruise lines') shows several cabins at a time that are available for sale. These cabins are the best available in the category they're showing, as deemed by Princess. There is a way to look at what other rooms are available, or requesting a specific room, at which point the system will tell you if it's available. But the 5 or 6 that come up as available first are usually the best.

Cruise lines let you switch to another available cabin within the same category. If you find 3 months before sailing that there is a cabin available in a better location than the one you booked 10 months earlier, you can switch to the better cabin, as long as it's still in the same category in which you're booked.

Sandy
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
quote:
It seems that checking the Princess web site won't do much good & if you check the online TA's they only get a handful of cabins to sell at a time.
Princess' online booking engine for travel agents (as well as most other cruise lines') shows several cabins at a time that are available for sale. These cabins are the best available in the category they're showing, as deemed by Princess. There is a way to look at what other rooms are available, or requesting a specific room, at which point the system will tell you if it's available. But the 5 or 6 that come up as available first are usually the best.

Cruise lines let you switch to another available cabin within the same category. If you find 3 months before sailing that there is a cabin available in a better location than the one you booked 10 months earlier, you can switch to the better cabin, as long as it's still in the same category in which you're booked.

Sandy

I've checked Princess's web sit a few time & yes they do offer what they categorize as being "best" but this isn't what I consider as being the best for me. I'll have to recheck Princess's site & see if I can find out about the other cabins. I can understand that cabins do become available up to sailing date due to cancellations but I'm sure there must be more than what I can see available today or maybe there not shown for the general public- just TA's?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello rugbypopsie;

I checked the Princess website and yes, all catagories of mini-suites and suites are waitlisted. There are cabins available in all balcony catagories but I see no advantage in upgrading to catagory BA, as they are all the same size and as Penny points out, you are in a very good location. You have passenger cabins above and below you. If you moved up you would be beneath public areas.

What you could do is ask to be waitlisted for a mini-suite, should one become available.

I'm including a photo; it's of Sun Princess, but Sun is an identical twin of Dawn Princess. Your cabin is on the second deck above the tenders, all the way to the left; I think you will see that the balconies are really quite roomy.

Have a wonderful cruise and please stay in touch.

Rick

Old 03-15-2008, 06:33 AM

Thank you all for your comments...am looking forward to the Dawn we have been on the Star Princess and the Pacific Princess...both ends of size..and loved them both for different reasons.
Plus a few others..have to say Princess is my favourite cruise line. Teenage daughter is keen for us to do a family cruise from the west coast to Mexico. The killer from here is the $1400+ AUD airfare to LA from here but the Aussie dollar is very strong at the moment so you never know, if we do I will be asking for suggestions on time and ship to suit teenagers.

If this cruise goes well DH said we might look at a round the world 104 days from our part of the world. Considering he used to get seasick on the Sydney harbour ferry you can see what a decent cruise ship has done for him. Hard to decide though if I want lots of shorter cruises or one amazing one with no more for a while.

I will be asking for lots of advice before the round the world as it really will be a once in a lifetime. Glad to see more ships are operating out of Australia otherwise it costs a fortune just to get onboard.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
Hello rugbypopsie;

I checked the Princess website and yes, all catagories of mini-suites and suites are waitlisted. There are cabins available in all balcony catagories but I see no advantage in upgrading to catagory BA, as they are all the same size and as Penny points out, you are in a very good location. You have passenger cabins above and below you. If you moved up you would be beneath public areas.

What you could do is ask to be waitlisted for a mini-suite, should one become available.

I'm including a photo; it's of Sun Princess, but Sun is an identical twin of Dawn Princess. Your cabin is on the second deck above the tenders, all the way to the left; I think you will see that the balconies are really quite roomy.

Have a wonderful cruise and please stay in touch.

Rick
Rick- How do you include a photo in a response? I can post one but not included in an answer.
Rich
Old 03-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Rich, I don't know any other way to do it but to copy and paste from my Webshots account.

If you left-click on my photo above, it will take you to that photo in Webshots. Scroll down a ways and you will see a box on the right side that says "Link to this Picture"; below that are 5 boxes for the five different pixel sizes: 100, 200, 425, 500 and 600. I click a size and it creates three different lines of code. The bottom of the three says, "post to a forum"; I left click to highlight that line of code, then right click to copy it. Then come back here and right click to paste it in my post.
If I forget to pick a size it defaults to 100 pixels, like this:

I'm sure there are other and probably easier ways to do it, but this is the only way I've been able to figure out. But Webshots seems pretty user-friendly for a computer dunce like me.

Rick

p.s. You can left click on this little picture too.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 AM

This is assuming you have a Webshot account I suppose. My thinking is that I could paste a photo from my computer but I guess it can't be done without first uploading it to some sort of an online account.

Closed Thread

Tags
availability, cabin, cabins, check, cruise, left, princess, reviews, room, rooms, selection, ship, shows, site, website