Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Hi. This is our first Alaska cruise. We did a couple of Carribean cruises about 20/25 years ago. I have two questions... First, is seasickness an issue on this cruise? Should I get a patch from my doctor? Second, we are in B425 (I thought I was booking WAY ahead when I booked a July cruise on January 2nd... HA! Couldn't even get the week we really wanted.) Anyhow, this is very near the elevator. Is that going to be noisy? ...not that we can really do anything about it at this point.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Hello lynnfromVA, and welcome to Cruise-Chat;

seasickness is no more of an issue on an Alaska cruise than any other. Did you have problems on your earlier cruises? Even if you did, ships have made big changes in the last 20-25 years--they are much larger and more stable. But if you have any doubts, get the patch and be prepared.

Being near the elevators should not be a problem either. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone complain of noise near the elevators or stairs. On the contrary, it is very convenient.

Have a great cruise.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the info! One more question... will we see whales from the cruise ship this time of year or do you have to book an excursion from out of Juneau... and if you do book an excursion, is it luck of the draw whether you actually do see any whales or not?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Whales are almost always seen from the ship. But the chances of you being on the right side of the right deck at the right time are pretty slim.

There are no guarantees of sightings, but your best odds are on an excursion out of Juneau.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Hi lynnfromVA, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I do hope you enjoy Princess as much as we do. They're our favorite line, so far. You're cabin should be just fine, they really are amazingly sound resistant. We've been on 21 Caribbean cruises and only once did we see dolphins from the ship, it was so amazing! I do hope you get to see a whale or two. F-mattox is correct though, there are no guarantees. The Diamond is a large ship, and beautiful. I doubt you'll have any trouble with motion sickness, but take the patch along if you think you will. Ginger and green apples are natural remedies. You can get ginger candies in a health food store, and they usually have green apples on board. Plus the medical center can give you a shot if it gets really bad. My hubby and I are very fortunate in that area, neither of us has motion sickness, thankfully! Best wishes for a marvelous cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:01 AM

Hi Lynn, ask your GP (home doctor) for a script for prochloroerazine (STEMITIL) tablets, they are anti-nausea tablets that work well with sea-sickenss.. I use them when I go sailing

regards John
Old 07-05-2008, 05:44 AM

Hi lynnfromVA and let me add my welcome to Cruise Chat. Are you in NoVA? I'm in MD.

Alaska cruises are known to be very calm, since the path you take in Alaska itself is on inland waters. The only rough seas you may encounter are the first day when leaving Vancouver. Penny had good suggestions about ginger and green apples. You can take candied ginger with you, or even ginger tablets you can buy over the counter, but I suspect you won't need anything unless you are particularly motion sensitive.

You're right that Alaska cruises sell quickly, since they have such a limited season and are very popular.

I took a whale watching excursion in Juneau and saw several whales. They also tell you amazing facts about whales, something you may not hear even if you do see some from the ship.

Enjoy!

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, carribean, cruise, july, watching, whale, whales