Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 01:20 PM

I know this is a stupid question. We are scheduled to go to Alaska May 14th on Island Princess.
My question, is there a separate train for each cruise line? I assumed there would be just one train, but then I saw a picture of a train on the Princess web site that had the Princess Logo on it. Just curious. Rickyb
Old 03-28-2007, 01:41 PM

There are not separate trains, but there are separate cars for some of the cruise lines. Princess, Holland America and Royal Caribbean each have their own cars now, from what I understand. They attach them to the regular Alaska RR train.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
That's a good question. I've not yet done an overland excursion but, like you, all the photos I have seen of the Princess Tours have the Sea Witch all over them. Then too, with all the ships up there they would have to have quite a few trains running. The rail cars are probably leased and operated by the different cruise lines.

Would like to hear from someone with more insight on this.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Thank you, Karen; you answered whil I was composing my reply.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 PM

Hi rbum, you are right just one train when we were there last Sept. Holland, Celeb/Royal Carib and Princess had their own cars along with Alaskan Rail. We were told by our Princess Outfitter that Princess pays extra to have their cars last in line. We did the heart of Alaska tour, land first then sailed on the Island. Everything was great. Just a note though from what I've heard you might want to bring your bug spray that time of year, hope I'm wrong. Hope you have a GREAT trip.
JC
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 PM
JC 49, just curious; did they say what was the advantage of being last in line?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 AM

The last car of any train gives you a better view. You will find that on a normal train ride, right VIA, everyone whats to be on the last car. I went from Toronto to Vancouver one year and the last car was always full. ON a curve you can see the engines.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Thank you; such a simple explanation--but I obviously have not done much traveling by train!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 AM

This may sound stupid to some of you, but I will risk it and ask anyway...
On the train ride after disembarking (Anchorage) to McKinley, is the scenery better on one side of the train than the other? OR is it equally breath-taking from either side? Just wondering.
Also, does anyone know if it is reserved/assigned seating on the train OR first come first serve?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:14 AM

The view is just about equal from both sides although on our trip (going south) most of the photo's I took were on the left side of the train. There was no reserved seating on Princess as I can recall. I did spent a lot of time riding between the cars to get a better view especially when going along the rivers.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, america, holland, rail