Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Can anyone tell me, if we bring our laptop, what the charges would be to use it and can we get a wireless connection in our stateroom? Also what is the cell phone reception on the ship? I know, don't bring our work with us on the cruise!

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Can anyone tell me, if we bring our laptop, what the charges would be to use it and can we get a wireless connection in our stateroom? Also what is the cell phone reception on the ship? I know, don't bring our work with us on the cruise!

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Wireless access is only available in the Atrium area, midship. I think the cost for wireless was the same as using their computers--.75 cents a minute; less per minute if you buy a package. Platinum and Elite members get a credit toward the package. Just be aware that the internet onboard is painfully slow.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Banned

Thanks, f-mattox,

So, I'm guessing it isn't worth it to lug our own laptop onboard the ship if it there isn't any advantage to it?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't know if I would go that far; some here say their laptop is a good way to organize and store their photos. Personally I don't like to waste time on that while on the trip.

Bkut for e-mail or internet there dosen't seem to be any advantage cost-wise or convenience-wise to bringing your own.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
I don't know if I would go that far; some here say their laptop is a good way to organize and store their photos. Personally I don't like to waste time on that while on the trip.

Bkut for e-mail or internet there dosen't seem to be any advantage cost-wise or convenience-wise to bringing your own.

Sometimes all the computers in the library and internet room are taken. If you have your own lap top, you won't have to wait for a computer. Plus, all your internet favorites are easily accessible (less typing URL names!) which can actually save money! You'll also find some web sites are blocked by Princess -- maybe for a good reason For those of us that need to check-in with work, we need our own lap tops since they have the security software and programs needed to access our corporate networks.

It's a matter of choice, but I say lug the thing along! As Rick mentions, it's great to at least be able to transfer photos from your camera card to free up card space without paying Princess to burn them to a CD. As an added bonus, you can then use the Internet whenever you'd like without waiting on another line!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned

Thanks guys,

I didn't think about the ease of having our own settings at our fingertips, that will save time and money. Also, I will probably want to download our photos which I won't need the internet for, not to mention the fact that my husband has his games on the computer that he likes to play.

Again, thanks for the great "seasoned" tips. It's been so long since I've been on a cruise, it was before laptops!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:17 AM

One more thought. If you are Platinum or Elite, you can greatly reduce if not eliminate internet costs but only if you use the ship's computers. If you use your own laptop, you pay the full rate no matter what your status. I had my lap top on our last cruise and used it only for keeping a diary. (off line). I used the ship's computers for internet. We are Platinum. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

Thanks Bob and Bev,

Unfortunately, this is our first cruise so we don't qualify for Platinum or Elite. I think we will use the convenience of our own laptop. Knowing me I will be downloading our pictures every day onto the computer so I can view and edit them and I won't need to be on line for that.

We are leaving in 5 days out of San Francisco, being "newbies" do you have any other general tips that might help us on the cruise.

Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
att, california, connect, connection, cruise, laptop, review, wireless