Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 02:42 PM

LisaP, All I can say is that on NCL if anyone was turned away from dining because of the dress code they must have been pretty sloppy. On our last NCL cruise I wore my jeans every night without any problem (as did others) & I never saw anyone take real advantage of the dress down code, even though it was a spring break cruise. - No caps on backward, no torn clothes, etc. The last thing I want to do is spend a day on the beach & have to dress for dinner on my vacation.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

RichC, had I not seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have posted it. These pax were not sloppy.

Yet your last statement illustrates my point exactly. You don't want to dress for dinner and that is your right. It is also others' rights to want to dress for dinner. Both select a cruise line based on the line's policy regarding dress codes. You'd think they wouldn't end up on the same line, but somehow they do -- and the line looks the other way.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I have to agree with LisaP on this one, if the rules state formal dress only for the dining room and you wish to dress ( no matter how nicely & smart casual )in a different way, then you should use the buffet area.Never mind about you paid for the cruise and are entitled to dress how you want....there are still certain rules to be followed but it seems some people will not always respect the wishes of those who like to abide by them.
If you bought a lottery ticket and won $5 million but the rules said that you could only claim the money if you dressed up in a big red hat ,a big red nose and wore huge red shoes or else the money would go to charity then I suspect you would abide by the rules.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM
whoops got a bit carried away there on smart casual nights then smart jeans ( IMO ) are fine.....I was thinking formal dress nights before....regards jack
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 PM

Jack207- I don't think anyone here was referring to wearing jeans on formal evenings & I've never see it on any line in the dr. I think the original question was asking about wearing jeans on a casual evening. Even for my taste (which runs on the casual side), I wouldn't think of wearing them on a formal night for diner- after diner is another subject. I & my wife both change ASAP to our comfortable clothes for the show.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 PM

You mean I might have to buy all the red gear, hat, boots etc. if I win the lottery? Well ok at least if I win I'll feel like turning in my jeans for a tux. Just a couple more chances to win before our 1st cruise. I did buy some new jeans for it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
You don't want to dress for dinner and that is your right. It is also others' rights to want to dress for dinner.
well said
Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Hello D10S, while I respect your opinion, and tend to agree with you, you must remember times, styles and attitudes change; and while we may not agree with it or go along with it in our own appearence, it is inevitable and we may as well accept it, or switch to the ultra-luxury cruise lines.

I can remember times when women wouldn't think of going to church without a hat and gloves; I can remember when I use to wear a coat and tie to fly. Would I like to go back to those times? Not really. So if a man wants to wear jeans and no tie to dinner, that's fine with me--not my choice--but I sure won't object to his choice.

Just my opinion.
As usual, I couldn't agree more with a post. Well stated Rick. In some parts of the country, CO to be specific, church is casual. I went to church with my parents and came out ready to go in a suit. My dad chuckled a little and said go hang up the jacket and tie. I did, when we got to services the pastor was the only one I saw in the church with a jacket and tie. Dad said CO is a little more laid back than elsewhere. I didn't think it appropraite at first and actually thought it was a little disrespectful. I've warmed to it and now prefer it. Nobody putting on pretences or trying to draw attention to themselves. Now when I hear of $400. haircuts and $50k gowns for red carpet events I think of the CO church and am thankful for my new perspective.

Cheers, Neil
Old 09-02-2007, 06:39 AM

I am just off the Regal cruise to Hawaii, and thought since I started the thread (which was only about CASUAL nights) I would comment. Only a few people wore regular jeans in the dining room at dinner on casual nights. I wore white, embroidered dress jeans a couple of nights and felt fine in them. What surprised me more was what was allowed on formal nights. Though most dressed up, I saw a few men in Aloha shirts (no jacket) and several with nicer shirts but no jacket.
Ellie
Old 09-02-2007, 08:37 AM

As stated before, my husband was turned away for wearing jeans to dinner on casual night on NCL. They were not dirty torn or sloppy. That night though, they had no problem with letting in two women who had black outfits on that looked like they were ready for street walking. And neither were built to wear those outfits either, both too large and not age appropriate. On Our last Princess cruise my father in law was embarrassed by the dresses that the lady at our table was wearing. The neck lines were verrry low cut. Everyone has their opinion on what casual attire is with many against wearing jeans to dinner. But I do have a preference to dining with people who have their clothes on.

Closed Thread

Tags
casual, cruise, cruises, dinner, dinning, dress, jeans, night, nights, princess, restaurant, saul, smart, wear, worn