Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Jeans on smart casual nights? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/34108-jeans-smart-casual-nights.html)

SD Cruiser 08-13-2007 04:17 AM

I have read that there is now some ambiguity on this subject, (which was once a no no) so I am hoping some very RECENT Princess cruisers can answer. Are jeans (in good condition) permitted in the main dining room on the casual nights?
Ellie

RichC 08-13-2007 05:57 AM

Although Princess's policy is that they do not allow jeans in the dr on casual nights (and many people will frown upon them) I've been wearing them for years on casual evenings. Even on formal nights I change into jeans before the shows. I suppose the more relaxed atmosphere is due to the varied dining times that weren't a choice years ago. I imagine that if you showed up in raggedy torn jeans at the dr door something might be said but as long as they're in decent condition you'll be allowed to dine.
On one of our last Princess cruises (Caribbean P) they posted that no shorts were to be worn in the dr for breakfast or lunch. They also printed in the patter that no short sleeve shirts were permitted for dinner on formal evenings. Again these requests were not enforced. I always dine with my jacket off & do not own any long sleeve shirts or ties.

SD Cruiser 08-13-2007 06:39 AM

Thanks Rich. The jeans I will wear on white embroidered jeans, so they are a bit of a step up from regular jeans, and now that I have read your post I am definitely bringing them. Not only are they comfortable, but the dining room is always so cold, and they are warm.
Ellie

lmt 08-19-2007 10:52 AM

My husband is not the dress up kind of person. He will get it together for formal nights but the other nights he has ben known to wear good jeans with a dress shirt. (Nothing torn or dirty) There has been no problems whatsoever. In fact the waiter has said that as long as we are there having a good time they didn't care. I appreciate that very much. My husband enjoys the dinners but like I said he is not the dress up kind of person. Besides, once you sit down, who knows what you are wearing.

D10S 08-22-2007 07:36 AM

Jeans? A step up from regular jeans? I don't think it is too much to ask of people NOT to wear jeans to dinner.

People used to NEVER wear jeans to dinner anyplace. Why is it so hard for people to dress up a bit these days.

It is so sad seeing adults dressed like toddlers.

f-mattox 08-22-2007 12:08 PM

Hello D10S, while I respect your opinion, and tend to agree with you, you must remember times, styles and attitudes change; and while we may not agree with it or go along with it in our own appearence, it is inevitable and we may as well accept it, or switch to the ultra-luxury cruise lines.

I can remember times when women wouldn't think of going to church without a hat and gloves; I can remember when I use to wear a coat and tie to fly. Would I like to go back to those times? Not really. So if a man wants to wear jeans and no tie to dinner, that's fine with me--not my choice--but I sure won't object to his choice.

Just my opinion.

RichC 08-22-2007 12:49 PM

D10S, No one is dictating that you can't dress for diner but as long as someone doesn't show up in old clothes on a formal night I can't see anything wrong with that. That's what is great about PC dining- if you don't like the people you sitting with find another seat & you'll be happier.

Berick1234 08-22-2007 01:02 PM

NCL has a new policy for jeans.....:"Nice" jeans are permitted in the main dining room for dinner now....as if people haven't been wearing them before this new ruling:-)....I dress up on formal night...but to some, jeans are formal wear and it doesn't bother me at all...just don't wear shorts and a halter top to dinner..now that's a not a good thing..In my opinion....It's a cruise, times have changed, for better or for worse...just go with the flow and enjoy your cruise...

Bob E

LisaP 08-22-2007 02:03 PM

I've been pretty vocal about my negative opinion of NCL's new policy. But, in their defense, at least they are making it a policy. Prior to this change, they were turning people away at the door on occasion -- at least on my Norwegian Majesty cruises to Bermuda in 2005 and 2006.

IMO, if a cruise line states its policies explicitly in its marketing materials and passenger documents, I expect them to stick to it. If Princess, or any other line, is going to market itself to me (speaking hypothetically here), and I want the more formal atmosphere they're promoting, I'm going to notice if people are disrespecting the rules and that the line is allowing it. Yes, times are changing and we are becoming more casual, but that's not the issue. It comes down to expectations and enforcement.

Off my soapbox and putting my sneakers back on...

Marylu 08-22-2007 02:29 PM

Hi I have to put my 2 cents in here. I really think it is too bad that when you finally get on the cruise of your dreams you have to bring your "Jeans". I dont care if they are brand new! I never bring my jeans on a cruise. Its a special time for me and its nice to dress up and see other people dress up too. Its all part of crusing. I hope we dont lose that.