Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM

I am planning a cruise in Sept to Mexican Riviera on Sapphire Princess. I currently have a room booked on PH category on caribe deck at midship. can anyone tell me if the suites at the back of the ship are better or worse than in the center. I've always heard the best is the middle but the back seem larger. any feedback would be appreciated
Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM

I am planning a cruise in Sept to Mexican Riviera on Sapphire Princess. I currently have a room booked on PH category on caribe deck at midship. can anyone tell me if the suites at the back of the ship are better or worse than in the center. I've always heard the best is the middle but the back seem larger. any feedback would be appreciated
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Hello pattie, and welcome to Cruise-Chat; the Grand Suite and Owner's Suite are larger than the Penthouse Suites; the Premium Suites are about the same size, and the Vista Suites are a little smaller. The Penthouse Suites are centrally located on Caribe Deck; some see this as an advantage: others prefer being aft.

The biggest difference is the balconies. The Penthouse Suite balconies are only partially covered by the balconies above, so you usually have a choice of being in sun or shade. The suites themselves are more light and airy than the suites on the stern. What some consider a disadvantage of these balconies is people above can look into at least part of your balcony. I have had this type of balcony several times (though not a suite) and have never been bothered by people above; they have always been very respectful of our privacy.

The balconies of the suites on the stern are all covered--some are even recessed into the superstructure. This gives you more privacy but also less sun, and the suites are not as light. Another consideration with the aft suites is the sound of the wash, or wake. When under way, which is usually at night, the "whooosh" of the wake can be loud enough to bother some who like to leave their balcony doors open at night. I personally love the sound, but not everybody does.

So you really can't say one is better or worse than another; it just depends on which sounds better to you. I have had both types of balconies and love both. I have a couple of photos that will show you a little better the difference between the two areas. I will find them and post.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM
pattie, this is a look at a Penthouse Suite balcony on Caribe Deck (foreground) and a mini-suite balcony on Dolphin Deck from Baja Deck, above. In all fairness, you have to stand at the edge of the balcony and look down to get this view. As you can see, the Penthouse Suite balcony is twice as wide as the mini-suite and has real teak furniture.

This is a close look at the suite balconies on the stern:

Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 AM

Those are fantastic pictures f-mattox! The only problem is, it makes me want to be on board even more!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Thank you, Penny; I know what you mean: this is the first time in 5 years I haven't had at least one cruise booked and it's driving me C-R-A-Z-Y !!!

Rick
Old 04-08-2009, 12:36 PM

f-mattox - i had not actually replied yet, that was another cruiser. i guess i must be dense because i don't know how to retrieve the pix you sent (this is my first inquiry on this site). can i get some help on how to get see the pix
thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
pattie, I can see the photos on my monitor; apparently Penny can also. I'm not sure why you can't. They should be just a few posts before this one.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator

If you are using a cellphone to access the site the photos may not appear.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 PM

I CAME BACK ONTO THE SITE AND NOW CAN SEE THE PIX. THANK YOU SO MUCH. THESE GIVE US A GREAT VIEW OF THE BALCONY AND IT SHOULD BE FUN. (I LOVE REAL PIX AS OPPOSED TO THE PROFESSIONAL ONES)

Closed Thread

Tags
baja, balcony, caribe, deck, differences, mid, penthouse, premium, princess, sapphire, ship, staterooms, suite, suites, vista