Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 08:15 AM

Well, we have booked Aurora world cruise for Jan 08. Questions are:- do we need any visas? Do we need to bother with injections? If you have breakfast in your cabin, do you have to pay for it or is it included? Also, anyone that's done it, which ports should we not bother with if any. Any excursions that we should not miss. I think that covers it. Glad of any advice.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 AM

Hi Avril, this should answer your questions. Breakfast in your cabin is no extra charge, however, we usually tip extra for room service. We've never been able to take a world cruise, so I can't help you much on your ports. I'm sure there are plenty of members who can offer wonderful advice on specific ports, however. If there are any in particular, you could post your questions in the Port of Call section. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 09-22-2007, 03:00 PM

Many thanks Penny, I will follow your advice on other questions.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM

If your cruise stops in Casablanca, do yourself a favor and stay aboard and use the day to catch up on your laundry. We found this port to be very dirty, smelly, and the men treated women like dirt -- unless they thought they had money to spend. Then they were all over them and we had a difficult time getting away. Many of the passengers recommended that Princess not bother stopping there on future cruises.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Hold on, Papa Bear, I have a little different take on Casablanca. Yes, it's a little rough around the edges, but I thought it was a very interesting city. Smelly? Yes. Aggressive vendors? Yes. Dirty? A little; just like a lot of other places I've been and loved.

It has interesting architecture, interesting people, one of the most beautiful Mosques I've ever seen, and more varieties of olives than I knew existed.

Check it out the first time you are there. If you don't like it, next time catch up on the laundry.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:05 PM

I agree with you F-mattox. Although, we were in Casablanca for only 1 night, we spent 3 weeks in Morocco this past june. I was very disappointed to not see the mosque in Casablanca. We were there on a friday, and I failed to realize the mosque was closed to non-muslims on friday. We did get to see some other mosques, in other towns. Although, Casablanca was the most touristy place we stayed, except for Marrakesh, it was still quite a culture shock for us. Casablanca was where we stayed our first night. The city is a diamond in the rough. What a experience it was. I would not even hesitate to get off the ship, and experience this most interesting city. The architecture in the medina, would be reason alone for me! As far as the aggressive vendors, I just held my ground, and politely said no. I did not feel unsafe at all in Casablanca, and we weren't even with a tour group, just me and my family. I only felt belittled once, by a guy in a little market, in Marrakesh. I flipped him the bird when he wasn't looking, it made me feel a little better. Anyways, get off the ship and experience this part of the world. Remember, "normal" is in the eye of the beholder. Sorry I got off on a ramble, I just felt I needed to defend this city. Give it a try, if you don't like it, go back to the ship. What do you have to lose. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 AM

My apologies if I offended anyone with my disparaging remarks about Casablanca. In all of our travels, this was the only port that made me feel the sentiments I expressed. Of course, everyone sees things differently, and I would give rave reviews to virtually every other port that we have visited. I love cruising and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from experiencing all the adventurous places the world has to offer. Again, my apologies!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Hey Papa Bear, no apology needed; nobody was offended. We might not agree with you, but that's the beauty of this site--everybody freely expressing their opinions--and nobody being offended.

I feel about Istanbul the same way you feel about Casablanca; I don't care if I ever go there again. And I know I can say that without anybody being offended.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Yeah, no apology needed. I also might not agree with you, but like you I was also expressing my opinion. You know what they say about opinions. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM

Hi to you all. Thank you so much for all the input. I am sorry I seem to have set off a bit of argument. I hate to say it but our ship does not stop in Casablanca. It is the Aurora. I must say after all this discussion it has made me a bit curious about this port. I may have to organise a trip sometime to find out for myself. I must admit though I do not like countries that treat women as second class citizens and I do get animated if I feel that I am being snubbed in any way. Perhaps it might be better to dress as a man. I may get along better.

Other ports we visit are among others, San Francisco, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Barbados, Tonga, Samoa, Australia, New Zealand. Not in that order of course. Anyone know anything about Penang? We stop there too.

Many thanks to you all.

Closed Thread

Tags
aurora, cruise, reviews, world