Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 PM

People said that about a HAL ship too but we went and had no problem. I think when 1 person has a bad experience, they make it sound like a really awful thing. If it was that bad, I dont think the ship would sail. Tell your husband not to believe anything he reads. Also, you can call the cruise line direct and talk with someone about it and find out whats going on. We did that and it all worked out. We found out our ship had an isolated problem on 1 cruise and it was taken care of, repaired and cleared by the CDC.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:46 PM

I remember reading about the Zuiderdam smell prior to my first Zuiderdam cruise in 04. We went and now the Zuiderdam has clearly become our home away from home as we are now sailing her for the 3rd time in March. Also, have been on her sister ship the Oosterdam. If I had cancelled due to someone writing about the sewer smell back than, I would not have enjoyed the ship and HA as much as I have.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM

We have been on the Oosterdam as well, its maiden voyage to Alaska in 6/04. Had a great time on both that ship, as well as the Ryndam. Im almost afraid to try another cruiseline as I liked these really well. I did get a view of the Island Princess though and wouldnt mind trying that. Have also seen the Voyager of the Seas on the travel channel, and that looks like fun as well.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:07 AM

The only Princess ship I heard had a sewage smell was the old Royal Princess..One guy went on every website and was slamming this beautiful ship down...could be the same guy doing it again..rumour rumour rumour..you have nothing to worry about. I dont believe for one minute that Princess/Carnival would allow this..they would lose too much business
Old 01-24-2007, 12:53 PM
I had the pleasure of being on the old Royal Princess three times over her career and never once had a problem with a smell--sewage or otherwise. She was really a beautiful ship and an ideal size--45,000 gt, 1200 pax.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Most cruise ships are plagued by sewer odors. The problem is generally not shipwide. This replusive s--t odor usually occurs at different times and only on certain decks.

So just because a cruiser has never smell sewage on a ship does not negate the experience by any number of other cruiser.

Unfortunately, I have experienced this on Granduer of the Seas in the Atrium and the hallways of deck 4. Also on Royal Princess in 1999 in the cabin and the hallway. I have read about it on cruise critic occuring on the Millenium and Star Princess.

Just think of the complex plumbing system on any of these ships which makes it inevitable that odors will happen.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I wasn't trying to negate the experience of other cruisers; I just consider myself fortunate that I've never had this problem.

However, I do take exception to your statements that most cruise ships are plagued by sewer odors and that they are somehow inevitable.
They are by no means inevitable and are certainly the exception rather than the rule.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 PM

We sailed on the Star Princess on Jan 6th -- our cabin was Aloha 333. Every cabin on our ship was booked -- I had a friend that wanted to join us and there was a waiting list.

I had read the threads that discussed this problem and was a little concerned. During the 7 days we noticed the smell about 1/2 dozen times. Once on our balcony but usually in different parts of the ship. However, the smell would go away within a couple of minutes. It did not seem to linger. I'm sure that many people never even noticed it.

This did not change my opinion of the ship. The Star is a beautiful ship and I will say I could not find anything else to complain about -- even if I wanted to. The boat was beautiful and very clean. The food was excellent and always available and the staff was friendly and attentive.

Would I sail on the Star again -- absolutely!! If you are interested, I have posted pictures and my diary on our personal web site at Cruise Pics

I hope I have helped to answer this question that has been haunting the boards. If your husband still wants to back out -- let me know, I can have my bags packed in an hour!!!!!!

Enjoy your cruise -- I know you'll love it.

Connie
Old 02-06-2007, 07:40 PM

We were on the Caribbean Princess 2 years ago - never noticed anything. Last year we were on the Grandeur and the odour was quite noticeable on numerous occasions at the back of the ship (where our cabin happened to be). We did mention this on the comment card at the end of the cruise and I did e-mail them but I never had a response back from RC about it - so I am not sure what the problem was or if it was eventually corrected.

Free Cruise Tickers
Carnival Miracle-05/07
Grandeur of the Seas-03/06
Caribbean Princess-04/05

Closed Thread

Tags
board, carnival, cruise, freedom, odor, princes, princess, review, sewage, ship, ships, smell, smells, star, type