Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Sea Princess refit in Sept 2009 or NOT? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/3558-sea-princess-refit-sept-2009-not.html)

J and S 07-06-2009 10:15 AM

Hi,

I have heard in a few different places that the Sea Princess is looking old and run down and that it is having a major refit in Sept 2009, can anyone tell me if this is true and where i will find out if this is true?

Also me and my girlfriend are going on a southern carribean cruise on 10th October 2009 and will we be the first passengers since the refit if indeed it is having a refit?

Thanks

penny3333 07-06-2009 01:22 PM

According to what I can find, the Sea Princess is scheduled for Dry Dock 9/12-9/24/09. What her plans are for refitting, I cannot find. They may have pictures when she goes into dry dock.

f-mattox 07-06-2009 02:40 PM

That's about how long Dawn Princess was just in drydock, and Golden Princess a couple of months back. The refit included the addition of Movies Under The Stars (M.U.T.S.) and The Sanctuary, as well as new carpet and upholstery.

Sea Princess has a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise starting September 25, so your cruise will be the second one after the refit.

J and S 07-09-2009 11:11 AM

Hi,

I was speaking to Princess earlier this week and mentioned the refit, they couldnt tell me if it was in for a refit but they did say that the ship was not doing anything between 12.09 to 24.09 so it could be possible, anyone found anything else out as quite a lot of the reviews have said that the ship is looking very tatty and in need of a refit?

Thanks

f-mattox 07-09-2009 05:45 PM

No ship is ever "not doing anything;" the only possibility other than a refit would be that it has been chartered, and I haven't heard anything about that. I don't know why they couldn't just come out and tell you that it will be in drydock.

J and S 07-13-2009 11:42 AM

How will i find out if the ship is in dry dock?

I suppose i could look at the ship cam on the website, is there any other way to find such infomation out as even Princess dont seem to know.

penny3333 07-13-2009 11:51 AM

More than likely, the agents that answer the phones at Princess are either contract employees or have no knowlege of the dry dock schedules. The web cam is probably the best way. The Sea Princess already had the MUTS, so it's probably to add the International Cafe and Vins. They constantly change out carpet and paint. They may also be cleaning out the chandelier in the atrium area. I guess you could email Princess, whether you'd get a response, who knows.

J and S 07-14-2009 10:53 AM

What is adding "international cafe and vins" mean?

Quite alot of reviews are saying that the ship looks tatty so i hope it will be made to not look this way as me and my girlfriend wouldnt want to travel all that way to be on a tatty ship as the other reviews suggest.

penny3333 07-14-2009 11:09 AM

The ship is not "tatty" whatever that means. She is always kept up. She will be beautiful. We've sailed on her twice and have never been disappointed in any Princess ship we've sailed on. Of course, you could always stay home and keep fretting about it. The International Cafe is an area on the ship where they sell and have for free different pastries, deserts and sandwiches. Vins is a wine bar.

f-mattox 07-14-2009 11:25 AM

Thanks Penny; I didn't realize Sea Princess had already received the upgrades. The upcoming drydock (or maybe wetcodk) must just be for routine maintenance.

I wish we could convince our friend(s) J and S that Princess dosen't operate "tatty" ships. Sure carpet and upholstry can get a little tired before it is replaced, but "tatty"? NO WAY!