Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 AM

Hello All,
I am so glad I found this forum so I can ask my million and one questions about our upcoming cruise! We will be sailing on the Grand in Feb. My question (first of many I am sure) is about the dress at dinner. I am aware that 2 nights will be formal. I was wondering if my dear husband will be out of place if he does not show up in a tux? Do men come in their dark suits or do most have tuxes? If he really needs a tux, is renting from the ship the easiest thing to do?

Then for the remaining 5 nights that they call "dressy" - what does that mean exactly? Is 'business casual' okay for this - meaning for the men khakis and a polo shirt or does dh need to wear a tie every night? Sport coat with a tie? For myself, I was planning on taking mostly pants with nice jackets. Sound OK? Or do I really need dresses?

Sorry to be so full of questions but of course dh has not given a single thought to this and I will be required to recommend to him what he should pack. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 AM

Hello All,
I am so glad I found this forum so I can ask my million and one questions about our upcoming cruise! We will be sailing on the Grand in Feb. My question (first of many I am sure) is about the dress at dinner. I am aware that 2 nights will be formal. I was wondering if my dear husband will be out of place if he does not show up in a tux? Do men come in their dark suits or do most have tuxes? If he really needs a tux, is renting from the ship the easiest thing to do?

Then for the remaining 5 nights that they call "dressy" - what does that mean exactly? Is 'business casual' okay for this - meaning for the men khakis and a polo shirt or does dh need to wear a tie every night? Sport coat with a tie? For myself, I was planning on taking mostly pants with nice jackets. Sound OK? Or do I really need dresses?

Sorry to be so full of questions but of course dh has not given a single thought to this and I will be required to recommend to him what he should pack. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:37 PM

He will be fine wearing a dark suit on formal nights. Here is an idea if he wants to pick a tux up at a reasonable price for the cruise. All tux rental places sell the tuxes after a few rentals. You can usually buy a complete tux for less than it cost to rent it from the ship. Just call the formal wear places around your town to see if they have anything available. While they are not new, they are in great shape and look great to boot.

If a coat and tie were required for dress ships usually refer to it as "informal". Casual, dressy, country club casual, etc. usually refer to slacks and a shirt for men and the equivalent for ladies.

Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 01-25-2005, 07:26 PM

My wife and I have been on several Princess cruises. Most men, myself included, wear buisness suits on formal nights. Afew wear tux, even fewer with sport coat and tie. Women usually wear cocktail dresses or formal suits. Many of the young ladies (late Teens) wear what looks like a dress they had from a school dance.

Informal nights have most men with kahkis, golf shirts or tropical print shirts. A few wear sport coats usually with open collar. Use good taste and you'll be fine. If not getting dressed up is your thing, there's always the buffet but really in my humble opinion the dinners, and dressing up for them are part of the cruise experience. besides, the food is good in the buffet but awesome in the dinning room. Have a great time
Old 01-28-2005, 05:39 AM

My wife and I went on our first cruise on the Grand last year and had a wonderful time. I wore a dark suit on the two formal nights and was not a bit out of place. My guess was that about 50% or more of the men had suits on. Tie and jacket certainly not needed for the other nights. Almost all the men wore sport shirts, golf shirts and the like. Khakis or dress pants - fine, but not jeans or shorts. Enjoy your cruise.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:14 AM

Thanks everyone! This is most helpful.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:22 AM

Betsy
Also, however you dress, within reason, will be fine. The staff will never make you feel out of place, unless you go to dinner in shorts and tennis. I got back from an all day excursion just as our early seating was to begin, very tired, not wanting to change, and proceeded to the dining room. I was not allowed in, but in a very dignified manner by the maitre de. I went and changed, and it was if it never happened. But shorts are allowed in the dining room at breakfast.

David
Old 01-29-2005, 10:35 AM

I agree with the advice to buy a tux. I got one from our local formalwear shop for LESS than the cost of a new suit.

Closed Thread

Tags
code, dinner, dress, princess, sapphire