Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Administrator

CDC now has a record of the event but since lab tests are not yet complete there is no confirmation of the norovirus being present.

If one proclaims 'I'll never cruise with XYZ again' they need to consider the ramifications of following through with it. Problems can happen with every line. Sooner or later you might find yourself fresh out of cruise lines. I once had what I considered an overall sub-par cruise aboard Grandeur Of The Seas. A few years later I cruised on that ship again and it ranks as one my best cruises ever. You just never know.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:43 AM

Angry
I have to agree with many of the positive comments being shared and also feel badly for those that were on a ship with illness aboard. Prior to this Feb, we had only cruised with RCL and Celebrity and enjoyed our cruise enough that we would book again with Princess..One thing about using different lines is to see how the other world (lines) exist and to see some different ports of call. We have been on at least two cruises where ship's staff were positioned everywhere with instructions to sanitize hands and things were constantly being wiped down and we were not even allowed to handle serving items in the buffet lines. Ships, its staff and passengers are at the mercy of people that travel when they are sick and travelers should be at home rather than passing a bug around.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Our first cruise on the Sun Princess, the food was not very good. Especially after coming off the Sea Princess where the food was amazing! Anyway, long story short, the next time we were on the Sun Princess, the food was much, much better. I was a little leary of booking the Sun again, but I loved the itinerary and I certainly didn't starve on my first sailing.

I doubt I'll go on Celebrity again, but it isn't because the food on that voyage wasn't very good. There were many more reasons. However, if they came up with an itinerary and price that couldn't be beat, I'd be on board. And, I'll almost guarantee the food would be better. I'd also know not to book a balcony since you're not allowed to smoke there and not to purchase the drink package, so the experience would be much better.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Thumbs up
We were on the same cruise, and I can agree with some of the complaints -- but all in all, I thought it was a good cruise. The Horizon buffet is just not designed that well. It's very hard to keep from bumping into each other. That said, we would just go to the dining room where I thought the meals were quite good. Especially the dinners.

Service overall was good. Our cabin steward was teriffic, as well as our waiter and his assistant. We found a bar on the ship that we liked very much and enjoyed the company of one of the best bartenders I have had in 24 cruises.

As to the itinerary, I thought it was great, and it was the luck-of-the-draw that we booked this cruise because it won't be doing this same trip again. The Tracy Arm Fjord was fantastic. In fact, I think it's more impressive than Glacier Bay. The highlight was Icy Strait Point and the village of Hoonah -- home of the highest and longest zip line ride in the world. The people there were so friendly, and it didn't hurt that the weather was perfect.

So, was the cruise good? I think it was. Sure, the sickness put a damper on things, but I think Princess did a very good job of keeping the outbreak down to a minimum. With Princess, you kind of get what you pay for. Don't expect the same cruise as say "Crystal" for Love-Boat prices. Again, I thought it was a good cruise, and I would recommed it to others -- especially if you live in the Bay Area and don't want the hassle of dealing with the airport drill.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Administrator

PedroPat,

First of all welcome to Cruise Reviews, and secondly thanks for a different perspective on the subject cruise. Your report shows that not everyone sees things in the same light.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM

Pedro Pat - Welcome.

There will definitely be a wide range of views on Alaska glaciers depending on what time of year an individual visits Alaska. I've visited three different ones. If I had to put them in order it would be: Glacier Bay- visited in early September; Hubbard Glacier- visited in mid August; and Tracy Fjord-visited in mid June.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Sorry to hear about your trip. We were on the same ship and ended our cruise by coming down with the virus about the time we were walking in our front door! My wife and I got it really bad, but fortunately, our son escaped it. When researching this virus on the internet, I found that the Sea Princess has a history of this virus since 2006!!! It seems to me that Princess Cruises is more interested in turning this ship around in port to get more passengers (and their money) on board for the next cruise, then they are in keeping people healthy. I find this especially disgusting when considering the fact that people have paid their hard-earned money to take these cruises. I think Princess has an obligation to provide a safe (and healthy) cruise to their customers. This ship needs to spend some time in port undergoing a complete detox and cleaning! Our extra blankets in the room hadn't been laundered in quite a while and had disgusting stains!!!! Princess Cruises, I hope you read these posts. Has anyone heard of a class action suit????
Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Class Action lawsuits rarely benefit anyone but lawyers. In order for the CDC to officially declare an outbreak, 2% of the crew and passengers on that sailing had to report gastronomical problems. Several years ago Disney and Holland America also had problems out of Port Canaveral where several sailings were affected. As long as the ship is cleared by the CDC there's no reason it shouldn't go back out.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator

113 passengers reported being ill on this cruise, which means 1940 passengers either didn't get sick or didn't report it. Of the 838 crew members, 12 reported illness. Not what I would call 'class action' territory, even for the most predatory lawyer. I suppose Princess is liable because some passenger lied on their medical affidavit and boarded knowing they had recently had the stomach virus?

By the way, the Sea Princess was inspected by the CDC on 5/24/2011 and received a sanitation score of 99. Almost perfect score.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Cruiser View Post
Agree with all comments and was particularily disappointed with quality of food in buffet ,far too much food seemed to be leftovers from previous meals and were just recycled in another form ie curried etc. I am sorry but I will not cruise with Princess again. ps Did next cruise depart on time with or without being checked over for Norovirus?
I'm not sure they really care about the Noro virus until the problem surfaces, On our last cruise in the AT dining room the waiters took the leftover bread & butter from our 5:30PM seating & recycled them into another basket & butter dish for the next people to arrive. They did it discreetly on the side of their serving table but still in view of the people. I wonder what really goes on in the galley in the Horizon where no one can see.
My wife couldn't believe it & had always said that they throw out the leftover rolls & bread sticks.
Go reason to go with the first seating.

Tags
20, alaska, board, cruise, cruises, illness, noro, norovirus, outbreak, princess, reviews, sea, ship, time, virus