Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Sea Princess Norovirus warning!
My wife and I just returned today (May 30, 2011) from a 10-day Alaskan cruise aboard the Sea Princess. This was our 10th Princess cruise. We have also cruised with Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Overall, we were disappointed. 1) The ship is getting a little long-of-tooth. For example, some shabbiness is apparent, and the internet café has such poor bandwidth that internet access is extremely slow and difficult. If you are paying for this service, you won’t be happy. 2) Service gets worse with every Princess cruise we take. It’s not that the staff doesn’t work at it, but management sets the bar too low. The “Carnivalization” of Princess some years back started it all off. The automatic tip program encourages mediocrity, and has taken much of the incentive away from staff to “go the extra mile”. Unreplenished tissue and missing towels were repeatedly a problem; personal property was damaged through carelessness. 3) The food is getting really bad. There has always been a big difference between the quality of the food in the “Lido Deck” (buffet) and the dining room. Now the quality of the food in the dining room is mostly fair-poor, and the quality of the food in the buffet is mostly poor-bad. Approximately 35% of the food served is inedible (stale, hard, dry, etc.), and an additional 45% is just of poor quality and taste. That only leaves about 20% of the food as acceptable. A few items within that 20% are quite good, but there are few of those. I have included in these categories breads and deserts. They tend to be in the 20% category...that is, unless they are among the “left overs” from the previous day...which does seem to happen. For example, we both enjoyed eggs benedict one morning in the dining room. Two days later, we say a tray of eggs benedict at the buffet. My wife, who is braver (or more foolish) decided she wanted to repeat her positive experience with the eggs benedict; well...it was not to be. The muffin was cold and hard, I saw her crumble it with her fingers. The egg was hard and plastic, the Hollandaise sauce was crusted and stuck-on. It was a horrible change of quality from two days previous...a good example of the current policy of utilizing “left-overs”. The Alaska passenger-compliment was quite elderly. Perhaps for that reason almost all the food was bland. The few exceptions were usually in the “quite good category” (pepper-pot soup, fresh chicken curry, etc.). The beef, lamb, turkey and pork were all quite tough and mostly tasteless. On our trip home after the cruise, we stopped for lunch at a chain-café we like. My wife and I each ordered green salad and hamburgers. The food was excellent. Much better than anything we had eaten during out 10-day cruise...our meat actually tasted like beef! 4) The mattresses (or some of them) need replacement. Not only are they 2nd rate in style (what, no pillow-top?), but they, like the ship, are a little long-of-tooth. 5) Ship sanitation...what can I say, Sea Princess was hard-hit by Norovirus this trip. My wife and I had never experienced the “adventure” of this illness before. I would rather not again. My case was quite mild, by my poor wife really suffered. The “haz-mat” folks were in every cabin-corridor. The doctor did show up promptly after we called (in response to a public-service announcement); but of course, he charged for the treatment. Staff then modified some of their practices to help prevent infection...crew members handled food-service utensils at the buffet, alcohol-rub was “mandated” (but poorly so) before we could enter the dining room or buffet, etc. My wife started calling it the “poison buffet”; somewhat vitriolic, yes...but she is entitled to her opinions. Public restrooms were sometimes neglected an poorly stocked with toilet paper and such (especially the ones in the vicinity of the theater). And those got quite a workout with so much Noro on board! While awaiting luggage return and departure, my wife saw two large trucks delivering additional medical supplies to the ship. Prudent of course; but would you want your family aboard on the following voyage? 6) The ship’s itinerary was known ahead of time, of course; but Hoonah Village/Icy Point...really? And only a few hours in Victoria? Of course, to those suffering from Norovirus, the ports of call were somewhat irrelevant. Well, I’ve gone on log enough. While we love to cruise, Sea Princess did disappoint.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Carnival has upgraded their food significantly over the past few years and now is considered perhaps the best mainstream line for their dining room offerings.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Hi LikesTravel2Boot, welcome to CruiseReviews! Sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience on the Sea Princess. She is my favorite ship. We haven't sailed her in a while since she went to Australia for a bit. The last time we sailed her, my hubby bought me a cookbook from the chef that was on board at that time because the food was so magnificent. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy that chef, he was fabulous. Princess does their best to refurbish everything they can while at sea, maybe she's due for a drydock soon?

Anyway, sorry to hear this was a disappointment, but do hope you'll give them another try. They're my favorite line and I'm so looking forward to sailing with them again in December.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Administrator

I also want to note that, as of this time, there are no CDC or media reports about a norovirus event on this cruise. It is important that we remain factual.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM

My husband and I were also on this same cruise (we were not with a group). We have cruised over 20 times.

I agree 110% with LikesTravel2boot. My husband (after following all the precautions) got the Norovirus and has now been affected for 5 days. We spent 3 days in our cabin.

All of your comments about food and general service are right on. Will we cruise Princess again? Maybe, but it will be a long time if we do.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 PM

We love Princess!!! This is the only line that we will cruise with. We have tried other lines and they were not up to par with Princess. All the Princess ships that we been on the food is 110%, we love it. I do not know what happen to you, but please try Princess again and maybe on a bigger ship.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Administrator

It is important to note that the outbreak of any illness is pretty much never the cruise line's fault. Someone boarded the ship and spread it around, and the cruise ship has to recover from it. It happens.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I also want to note that, as of this time, there are no CDC or media reports about a norovirus event on this cruise. It is important that we remain factual.
Just reiterating, as we do not want to alarm anyone unnecessarily (especially as norovirus was just one among six categories of complaints cited by the OP).
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to Cruise Anywhere View Post
My husband and I were also on this same cruise (we were not with a group). We have cruised over 20 times.

I agree 110% with LikesTravel2boot. My husband (after following all the precautions) got the Norovirus and has now been affected for 5 days. We spent 3 days in our cabin.

All of your comments about food and general service are right on. Will we cruise Princess again? Maybe, but it will be a long time if we do.
Agree with all comments and was particularily disappointed with quality of food in buffet ,far too much food seemed to be leftovers from previous meals and were just recycled in another form ie curried etc. I am sorry but I will not cruise with Princess again. ps Did next cruise depart on time with or without being checked over for Norovirus?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 AM

I'm sorry all of you had such a dismal cruise. It's certainly the exception and not the rule, as you know, because you are experienced cruisers and experienced Princess cruisers.

Of course you know that every cruise line has had the unfortunate circumstance of a norovirus outbreak. So have almost every school, church, hospital, nursing home, and other such venues where one sick person can spread the illness quite easily because of so many people being in the same facility.

I hope you filled out your customer survey before leaving the ship. From what we have read on this Forum, the Princess cruisers are devoted, as many of you are after so many Princess cruises. One unusual and unfortunate experience on one ship would make no difference to the cruising patterns of the thousands of people on this board, except maybe to book Sea Princess immediately, after getting so much attention!

I wish you better luck on your next cruises.

Tags
20, alaska, board, cruise, cruises, illness, noro, norovirus, outbreak, princess, reviews, sea, ship, time, virus