Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Default No Puerto Vallarta
This dosen't look good for the Mexican Riviera; first Mazatlan, and now Puerto Vallarta:

Safety concerns prompt Princess to cancel Puerto Vallarta calls - USATODAY.com
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 AM

Unhappy
f-Mattox, thanks for sharing this article...I think the cruise lines are prudent in their attempt to keep us passengers as safe as possible from the known incidents that are repeating in ports that the lines operate..Perhaps those ports of call will realize the great loss of income and step up the necessary action to curtail these incidents. Realizing that crime is apparent most everywhere, it is up to us, as travelers, to be aware of our surroundings and avoid areas that are not safe..Doing some homework or simply checking with the ships crew can help us avoid traveling to an area (on our own) that may not be safe.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 AM

Thank you f-Mattox, I don't feel so bad having to change my itinerary, now. What a shame. Peterl, I hope you're right. The loss of income may just wake them up.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Totally disagree with this. We were in this port this April and it was one of the greatest stop on our trip. We love the city and the people are so friendly. We are going down to this city for a whole week just to look around this wonderful area. Why are the Americian so quick to jump on cancelling these ports. We have plane full of visitors from Toronto going down every day and there has been no cases or report of problems. Our best friends just came back and had the best time in history. We love Mexico better than Hawaii!! We were welcome with open arms. In Hawaii no one meets you at the docks and we found the Hawaii people to be more unfriendly. We made many friends in Mexico in just one day, so that is why we are going back for a week this time. I have say this many time. Every port has issues, even in Canada, so the passengers must be on the look out at all time no manner where you are. Even where we live, we are always looking over our shoulders. It was funny, we were on a Princess bus tour in this port and asked to be drop off before the driver reached back to the dock and the tour guide was not eager to let us off, but they did. When we stopped, half the bus got off behind us. We walk around one of the local area in town all by ourself and never once did we fell that it was dangerous.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Which port are you referring too? I feel the way you describe about Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas; and until rercently, about Mazatlan. But I have never had any use for Ensenada.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 PM

We love all the ports in Mexico. We have stopped at all three of these that you pointed out and have walk by ourself in all three. The one that I was refering to about the bus was in Puerto Vallarta. We stopped and talk to several locals in Ensenada and they made us feel right at home. We talk to one small store owner for about 30 minutes as he was very interesting to hear about his background and the problems they are facing. We all know there are problems in Mexico, but by stopping from going to these ports is not helping.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM

I would imagine that Princess is looking out for itself. If an individual wants to go to Puerto Vallarta, then they take on the responsibility for their own safety. If a cruise line puts the passenger on shore, they don't want the responsibility of the passenger getting mugged or worse. I can understand the liability issue. I've always enjoyed my Mexican ports, too. Haven't been on the riviera side, but Cozumel, Costa Maya, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc., have been great. I especially enjoy Costa Maya. Cozumel is becoming too crowded and not as friendly for my taste, but I still enjoy going there because the beaches are great. Most of the workers at the beaches are great, too. But it seems to me the stores are getting more pushy. Also, it worries me with all the underage kids in some of the more popular bars. But it's still a fun port and relatively safe.

Tags
cruise, cruises, cruse, forums, issues, lines, passengers, port, puerto, reviews, safe, safety, ship, stopped, vallarta