Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Sapphire Princess - Hawaii - Oct 8, 2011 (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/37488-sapphire-princess-hawaii-oct-8-2011-a.html)

GinaLondon 09-23-2011 10:03 AM

Sapphire Princess - Hawaii - Oct 8, 2011

looking for advice for Hawaii. We are trying to stay at around $100 per port for each tour.

For Maui, we are thinking the volcano tour looks good, but not sure if it is on a motorcoach bus. would prefer to go with a small group if possible. anyone done the one the ship offers? Princess Cruises : Haleakala Crater . What is better for Maui, an island type tour or a snorkeling tour. Can't really make up our minds on this one.

For Honolulu we are going to do an island tour. My favorite so far is Oahu Island Tour - Best of Oahu Island TourIt hits most of the hot spots we want to see and its $100 each which fits our budget

For Big Island we have already booked Big Island Volcano Tours and Excursions Hawaii. Big Island Volcano Tours and Excursions Hawaii
We paid $70. the similar tour from the ship is $150

Undecided for Kauai. Every tour seems expensive. We are considerint Paddle Kauai Jungle Streams, Kauai Kayaking & Canoeing | Tours, sightseeing tours, activities & things to do | Viator.com or an island tour, if we can find a good rate. Anyone have recommendations

penny3333 09-23-2011 10:53 AM

I can tell you the snorkeling in Hawaii is excellent, the water is much cooler than the Caribbean, but every snorkel I've done there has been amazing. I've run into some strong currents off of Maui, Hanauma Bay was excellent (Oahu), didn't get to snorkel in the Big Island or Kauai. The tour we did to the crater was on a motorcoach and there were probably 40 people on the tour. It wasn't bad at all. There were many more at the crater as there were a lot of buses there. The best tours are by air, helicopter, but they are not inexpensive. Each one of the islands have such beautiful country sides, water falls, lush vegetation, it's just magnificent. If you can find an island tour in Kauai, that would be great. Hope this helps a little.

GinaLondon 09-27-2011 10:12 AM

2 down, 2 to go

We've made up our minds and bookd tours for 2 of our ports, Big Island and Oahu. Still not sure about Maui or Kauai. For Maui, is the Molokina snorkling trip fantastic or is a land tour the way to go? For Kauai, we are getting advice that there is a great beach to spend the day at, but will we be missing out if we dont go out and see Kauai, or is it really not that impressive of an island and the beach makes more sense? Spending the day at a beach sounds great, but not if we are missing out on a really good island to explore.

penny3333 09-27-2011 11:54 AM

I think you'd be very happy with the Molkini snorkel trip, it's beautiful. On Kauai, I'd go for an island tour. It is the garden island and it is gorgeous.

f-mattox 09-27-2011 11:55 AM

On our last trip we had friends who did the Molokina snorkeling adventure and raved about it. I've snorkeled several places in Hawaii and as Penny said, it is amazing there.

Kauai is a tough call: the beaches are beautiful, but it would be a shame to miss Waimea Canyon or the Na Pali coast. Personally, I think Kauai is the most scenic of the Islands--I would opt for a tour of the island . . .any tour.

RichC 09-27-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaLondon (Post 290738)
looking for advice for Hawaii. We are trying to stay at around $100 per port for each tour.

For Maui, we are thinking the volcano tour looks good, but not sure if it is on a motorcoach bus. would prefer to go with a small group if possible. anyone done the one the ship offers? Princess Cruises : Haleakala Crater . What is better for Maui, an island type tour or a snorkeling tour. Can't really make up our minds on this one.

For Honolulu we are going to do an island tour. My favorite so far is Oahu Island Tour - Best of Oahu Island TourIt hits most of the hot spots we want to see and its $100 each which fits our budget

For Big Island we have already booked Big Island Volcano Tours and Excursions Hawaii. Big Island Volcano Tours and Excursions Hawaii
We paid $70. the similar tour from the ship is $150

Undecided for Kauai. Every tour seems expensive. We are considerint Paddle Kauai Jungle Streams, Kauai Kayaking & Canoeing | Tours, sightseeing tours, activities & things to do | Viator.com or an island tour, if we can find a good rate. Anyone have recommendations

On Maui we used Princess tours a while back to go to Haleakala Crater and it was pretty good. I don't recall the price but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. Don't forget a sweat shirt even on a hot day.

On Honolulu you can economize & go to see the Arizona on you own without a tour. On the last trip there we went to see the Bowfin submarine & museum instead of the Arizona & did it by using public bus both ways. If you go on your own It would be a very long day but you could probably do both. Very easy to walk to the bus stop both at the ship & Pearl Harbor. If you have a Medicare card it'll also get you 1/2 bus fare. Also if you have a Golden Age Passport it'll get you & another person into the National Parks.