Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 AM

I am sailing on my 2nd PCL cruise this December. I am really interested in visiting a Mayan ruins site when in Cozumel. Does anyone have any past experiences or advice as to which ruins are the best to visit..... Coba or Tulum?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:56 PM

I have not been to Coba but have been to Tulum and Uxmal. Tulum is not as spectacular as Uxmal or Palenque but if you have never seen Mayan ruins it will not disappoint. What makes it particularly spectacular is its location on the coast. It really is beautiful. Great place for photographs.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Hi Cory Krajaefski, welcome to Cruise-Chat! I have not visited Coba either, but will second BritChris's nod for Tulum. The setting is absolutely beautiful! The ruins, when I went, were amazing and you could climb all over the place. I hear now, that you can't climb on some of them. I have a picture looking out from on top of one of the temples that overlooked the inlet. It is breath-taking.

Hope you have a marvelous cruise!

BritChris, Bon Voyage
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Coba is an extensive ruin site that has not seen much excavation and is quite primitive. Tulum is easier to reach and sits above a beautiful beach.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Hi HJH, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Thank you so much for sharing that information. I wonder if they let the tourists help excavate

We hope we will see you on the board often. Best wishes!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Tulum, Tulum, Tulum....

A very nice excursion....Great views and lots of Kodak moments.....A very wide open area for walking around...Bring some water, it can get very hot and humid....and watch the vendors as you enter the site, they can get pushy at times...Have a great cruise....

Bob E
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM

Thumbs up
Neither!!!
Across from the port, you can rent mopeds for $40.00 a day. Two can go on one.Or a jeep for pretty cheap also. Rent one and head out!! Ride them around the enitre island. There are intersting stops along the way. If you head to the right from the port, you will hit beaches and beaches, keep going and you will find a bar at the corner!!! Its right on the beach and open. You can sit there have some nachos and a nice cold one. Continue on, and you find people on the side of the road selling some neat stuff for cheap. You will eventually end up in "downtown" and can park the moped and explore/shop. By the time you get back, you will be ready for a nice shower and dinner!! We have done this every time we go and have had a lot more fun then going on an excursion. AND the cost is A LOT cheaper!!! I hope you try this, and see how great it is. Have fun!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Cory.....From Cozumel it will be necessary to take the ferry to the mainland and then a bus ride to the ruins....Like Cruisin Jamie, I suggest You rent a Scoot coupe or a Smart convertible for the day and tour the island of Cozumel...stopping to see the more humble ruins at San Gervasio and having a lunch at Punta Morena with some free beach time.....It will be much less expensive and a lot more fun..plus You will really get to know Cozumel...We did it two weeks ago and loved it...We have been many times in the region and now have a much better perspective of Cozumel...We will do it again!!

Bon voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 02-03-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: errorin directions

Tags
caribbean, coba, cozumel, cruise, cruises, excersions, excursion, excursions, forum, mayan, offer, princess, reviews, royal, ruins, tulum, uxmal