Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Convalescent Hospitals and Nursing Homes have far more frequent incidents of norovirus outbreaks than cruiselines have ever had......the press should be concentrating on care for the elderly and the debilitated rather than the cruiselines!!! The press is only interested in selling news not about doing the public any good!! I am washing my hands of this whole thing!!!

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 02-05-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
And don't forget to use a paper towel or tissue to open the rest room door when exiting . . .
Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 AM

Good points Susanmaz and Dave; I started opening the restroom door with a paper towel a couple of years ago and I've also noticed that many commercial retailers are now locating the trash receptacle nearer the exit door.
A couple of years ago on a cruise there was some type of illness that started and the ship was very quick to post people at the eating venues with sani wipes and asking everyone to sanitize upon entering and no one was allowed to serve themselves from the buffet lines.
I agree that most of the sickness is someone that should have stayed home. Easier said then done.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 PM

We had an outbreak on our cruise in December. I'm a little surprised that the cut the cruise short, but maybe they decided they'd really do some deep cleaning. They did everything they could to alert the passengers. They took off all condiments, you couldn't serve yourself anything. I felt so bad for the crew.

Come to think of it, maybe they ran out of mattresses, pillows, curtains, etc. One of the couples I met on board stated they stripped a room on their floor where a passenger had the virus. They said they took out the furniture, drapes, everything and replaced it with new ones. If they kept on having to do that, maybe they just ran out of supplies.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Just received a message from Princess that the Crown is returning to port as there is another major outbreak. They are going to keep it out of service for two days to try and get rid of this bug.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't call 114 passengers (3.7 percent out of 3,078) and 59 crew (5 percent of 1,178) another major outbreak. Rather, they are wanting to kill the virus after two successive cruises where it impacted some passengers. Obviously last week's cruise had more of a problem with 364 passengers (11.73% of 3,103) and 30 crew (2.57% of 1,168) getting sick. Given the time of year and the cruise line, it is likely the passenger demographic leans to older people and that means people with less resistance to illness. Princess is doing the right thing.

Princess will end the current cruise of Crown Princess two days early in order to do a deep cleaning which will include soft items such as fabrics and cushions. All passengers will receive full refunds for the cruise, flights home, coverage of change fees if air was not booked through Princess, hotel accommodation if necessary, and a 25 percent future cruise credit.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 AM

Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter l View Post
Good points Susanmaz and Dave; I started opening the restroom door with a paper towel a couple of years ago and I've also noticed that many commercial retailers are now locating the trash receptacle nearer the exit door.
A couple of years ago on a cruise there was some type of illness that started and the ship was very quick to post people at the eating venues with sani wipes and asking everyone to sanitize upon entering and no one was allowed to serve themselves from the buffet lines.
I agree that most of the sickness is someone that should have stayed home. Easier said then done.

Peterl
I guess they got tired of picking up the crumbled towels near the door way that myself & many others threw there.

Tags
2012, cruise, ct, jade, kill, minnesota, noro, norovirus, outbreak, princess, ratio, ruby, ship, today, virus