Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Norovirus outbreak on two ships. (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/37844-norovirus-outbreak-two-ships.html)

wooddon 02-04-2012 07:06 PM

Norovirus outbreak on two ships.

Just saw a news story about the Pricess cruise ship that are been return to Fort Lauderdale due to a outbreak of the Norovirus. The story can be read in the following web site:
Norovirus strikes 2 cruise ships in Caribbean - Yahoo! News
The ships are the Crown and the Ruby

MCPayne 02-04-2012 09:15 PM

I saw that too, but my understanding in reading the articles was that the ships returned to port on their scheduled day (as scheduled, no revised itinerary), however, with the disinfecting of the ships, the departures of the following itineraries on those ships would be delayed.

wooddon 02-04-2012 09:47 PM

No the Crown had just left Fort Lauderdale and was just starting a new trip. The Ruby is returning from it previous trip.

wooddon 02-04-2012 10:11 PM

This is Princess comments on FACEBOOK:

Look here for the comments from Princess.

poormom 02-05-2012 07:18 AM

I don't mean to sound like a broken record here but...
if 200 total out of roughly 10,000 passengers and crew on both ships got this...
98 percent of those onboard weren't affected. I don't take noro lightly and I'm glad they're disinfecting , but why is the media hell-bent on shining a bad light on the cruise industry?
Oh well...rating sell and nothing boosts rating like the fear factor.

Dave 02-05-2012 09:35 AM

Yup. After the Costa Concordia we'll now see all the major media outlets jumping on anything that they can make sound like another catastrophe.

Not to be crude (well, maybe a little), but Carnival better watch out with those Mexican-themed pool parties and the buffet choices that include beans. Someone will report that noxious gases enveloped the ship two hours after the party, and NBC-6 Miami will be waiting at the pier with the other paparazzi.

RebeccaHarran 02-05-2012 02:06 PM

Anybody can get sick anywhere. These reports will never turn me away from cruising. For me, cruising holds the best a vacation can offer. I will never stop cruising because of bad publicity.

Berick1234 02-05-2012 03:20 PM

As most of us longtime cruisers know, the ship doesn't create the virus, it's someone that comes aboard that passes it along..... 98 percent didn't catch it, so that's not a bad ratio....and in my mind, many of the "sickies" are just trying to get some type settlement from the cruiseline....27 cruises, and I've never seen a major outbreak...the ships are way to sterile and clean.....Leaving in 6 days on the Caribbean Princess...not worried at all...Happy cruising to us all...

Bob E

Dave 02-05-2012 03:43 PM

Bob,

Same here. I've never had a problem with illness on a cruise and I attribute it to my fastidious approach to personal hygiene. I will oblige the crew when they 'urge' me to put sanitizer on my hands when entering the dining room, buffet, etc., even though I know it has little or no effect on killing norovirus. What is more important to me is washing my hands often, with hot water and soap, and for more than just a few seconds. I also try to avoid touching handrails and elevator buttons. I'll gladly let someone else ask me which deck I want and let them push the button!

I also use the backs of my hands and fingers when possible, since they are less likely to make contact with my mouth or nose.

Berick1234 02-05-2012 06:11 PM

Dave,

Couldn't have said it any better....Wash your hands:-)

Happy sailing to us all......

Bob E