Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Boarding (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/3944-boarding.html)

chuckles 01-19-2010 04:37 AM

How early will I be able to board the Emerald Princess. Anyone know if anytime dining is better than having a regular seating time. What is allowed on formal nights pertaining to dress code.

Thanks Chuckles

Sandy 01-19-2010 06:07 AM

Chuckles, boarding can start anywhere between 11am and 2pm. It just depends on how quickly the previous cruise clears. You won't be able to go to your room before about 1pm, even if they let passengers on the ship before that.

If you like more flexibility in dining time than the set main or late seating, Anytime Dining may be for you. If you like the idea of having the same waiter and the same tablemates every night, and same dining time every night, traditional seating sounds better suited to you.

On formal nights, men usually wear a suit or at least a blazer and tie, and women wear a dressy dress or pants outfit. There is a lot of variation in what folks wear, and usually an alternative place to eat dinner if you don't want to get dressed up.

pink845 01-19-2010 07:33 PM

Dear Chuckles,

We were not able to drive into the port gates until 10:30 am on the day of departure. We went through security at 10:45 am and were placed in a lounge after that until they started the boarding process which meant checking in at the counter. That started at about 11:30 am. This was for the Xmas cruise on Emerald. We were on the ship at 12 noon. They tried to steer everyone up to the buffet for lunch but the one of the dining rooms was in fact open and we ate there. One of the diningrooms will be open either on Deck 5 or Deck 6. Our cabins were ready at 1:15 pm. Of course, mine was completely saturated with smoke from a previous smoker and luckily Princess was able to move me to another cabin from inside to balcony. Thanks Princess.

cousins 01-30-2010 12:42 PM

We usually arrive at 12:30 board by 1and go to lunch! However we have to walk around awhile to find seats! Night dining...we've done both. Once, great seats by the window 6:30 nightly with a lovely family.Once terrible table area with 4 single ladies...even though we did go early and try to get our table seats "moved" they wouldn't budge...sometimes they will if you slip them some $ but I refuse. Last cruise we did anytime dining. Found a table # that was next to a window made a reservation everyday by phone for that table at a time good for us depending on the port for the day...so we had our own table for 4 by the window with the same waiter...yet when we wanted it.

Cruise Fanatic 01-30-2010 12:46 PM

I have always heard it was against policy for the Maitre'd to accept any money for making dining arrangements.

f-mattox 01-30-2010 09:45 PM

Well, like so many things, there's the stated policy--and then there's the reality.