Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 PM

Default Golden Princess Questions
Hi everyone.

I know it's been awhile since I've posted, but I do have some questions. I'm looking into the possibility of an Alaskan cruise, but I do have some questions. I think I have it narrowed down to the Golden Princess roundtrip from Seattle, leaving August 25th.

Being it's an Alaskan cruise, and I may bring a friend with me, I was thinking about getting a balcony stateroom. It's a bit tight financially, but I think I can afford it. I was looking into a forward balcony stateroom, as those are the best value. I know they're probably the furthest from the public areas, but aside from that, are there any other disadvantages to booking one of those, as opposed to one closer to the middle of the ship? I was looking at one on Deck 10, I think, to avoid noise from above and below, since those are staterooms on those decks, according to the Princess website.

I thought about just doing an inside or ocean view stateroom, then just going to the lounges or open decks for the glacier days. While this is less expensive, I know it's probably more crowded in those areas, which is why I was leaning towards a balcony cabin. Also, those of you that have done similar cruises, is there a better view / scenery on either side? I was thinking the starboard (right side), so we could look at the glaciers as we leave Seattle and head north.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 AM
McPayne,

Right now Princess is offering the Balcony for the same price as the Ocean view. I have had a cabin forward and I didn't find any diadvantage to that location at all. We were starboard and the scenery was fabulous but I am sure it was on Portside too. Hope this helps you ! Enjoy !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 AM

Thanks Janfred. I thought that was NCL that was offering that. I actually did look at an NCL cruise, and may do that, but I'll keep from posting questions about that in this thread. I'll start a new discussion in the NCL thread for that one, if I have any questions.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM

We were on the Golden Princess, roundtrip from Seattle, in 2010. The Golden Princess has proven to be one of our favorite ships. We were on the starboard side, toward the front of the ship, and were happy with the location. You won't be in the open ocean so rough seas won't be an issue.

There was a naturalist on board named Michael Modzelewski. He gave several fantastic presentations. If he is still on the ship, and you have an opportunity to hear him, it's well worth your time.

We had a balcony cabin and were glad we did. The weather was nice and we were able to be outside on the balcony much of the time. We saw whales, otters, etc. while sitting on our own deck. We enjoyed the main decks, too, while seeing the glaciers or when entering or leaving a port. But much of the time was spent in our own space.

Whatever you decide, you will be amazed at the beauty that Alaska has to offer. Enjoy planning your wonderful cruise!

Nadine
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Thanks Nadine. Unfortunately, work threw me a curve ball, so to speak, so I can't take vacation when I was hoping to. I'd have to go in late June / early July, to put it simply. That being said, I don't think I can afford a balcony. Even an ocean view is probably a stretch. I'll let you know what I decide, if anything.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM
It's amazing how much the time of the season changes the cruise fares; but Golden Princess has plenty of open deck space for viewing so even an inside cabin would still give you a wonderful vacation.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPayne View Post
Thanks Nadine. Unfortunately, work threw me a curve ball, so to speak, so I can't take vacation when I was hoping to. I'd have to go in late June / early July, to put it simply. That being said, I don't think I can afford a balcony. Even an ocean view is probably a stretch. I'll let you know what I decide, if anything.
For many years we've always booed a balcony but on a recent B2B 28 day canal trip we opted to save considerable $$$ and just went with an obstructed view and never missed it. Compared to the amount we saved, we still had a great time and we're doing the same thing on our next B2B in April. Sure the balcony is a nice feature but so is not spending an additional $1,000 or more.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM

We will never go on a cruise without a balcony. Just because we can get fresh air in our cabin and sit out there with no one around to bug you. No manner what it cost, we will alway book a balcony. We don't find the cost to be that much of a difference.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Princess is going to run thier special on Balcony for an Ocean view price until Dec 31 or space runs out. Check it out, this may be a nice deal for you. I checked out their web site and both are the same price.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM

Having a balcony is one of the nicest things about cruising, if your funds are unlimited, BUT if it means forgoing another cruise during the year or possibly not going at all due to price considerations it's one of the major items that can be trimmed back to make it affordable.

Tags
2013, air, cabin, coin, cost, cruise, cruises, golden, inside, laundromat, laundry, mat, princess, questions, seattle