Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 06:10 AM

Default formal night on Alaskan cruise
I hesitate to post this as the issue of formal wear has been addressed many times previously.
My question is a little more specific. We already have the formal attire and enjoy wearing it but are taking an Alaskan cruise next month. We question what is the percentage of people wearing evening wear on the Alaskan trips. Given the weather we can easily fill our luggage with sweaters and perhaps use the luggage space better that way. On our last cruise, a 20 night Caribbean, it seemed that about 30% of the men were wearing tuxedos, a slightly higher percentage for ladies wearing evening dress. Is it the same on the Alaskan cruises? Thank you!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM

I would say that 25%-30% would be accurate. I think it's great to hear someone that still likes to dress up! If you have the room take it.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Formal Night on Alaskan Cruise
Done deal! My husband said that if there were more than 10% he would take his tux. Just don't want to look like a "show-off".

Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 PM

We arrived home last week from the Alaskan cruise. As an update, probably only 10% of men wore tuxedos, clearly the ones who had been cruising for years, although the "most cruiser" was not wearing a tux on formal night. I think the demographics had something to do with it - 25% of the cruisers were Australian, 50% were Asian (although obviously some would live in Vancouver and would not have to fly with their luggage) and only 25% were from the US, Canada or Europe. With the new luggage costs on airlines and for the Australians it represented only a couple of nights of a month long trip, these factors have affected formal night. Obviously personal taste enters into it as well.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM

Thank You for the update. That's an interesting passenger mix you had on your cruise.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:13 PM

I always still like to get dressed up on the formal nights, although not in a tux. For my upcoming cruise, I'll probably be in a black 2 piece suit for the formal nights.

On that note, I did have one question regarding etiquette about that. On the formal nights, is it okay for me to remove my suit jacket when I sit down to eat? This is something I'm not always sure about, and don't usually remove it until I see other guys do it, so I'm not the only one.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 PM

I always remove my suit jacket when I sit down at dinner. Its all right to do so.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM

I gave up on bringing the jacket about 10 years ago & have never regretted it. A simple long sleeve shirt will suffice with dress pants in the dining rooms. Unless dressing up is something you enjoy there's no need to go to extremes any longer on Princess.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 AM

We wish that they enforce the tie and jacket for men on Princess. We love getting dress up for these formal nights and look forward to it, but it looks bad whenever a person walk in with just a dress shirt and pants on. We wish that cruise lines get back to nice formal nights again. My wife pack a dress for each formal night and I have a suit for each night.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Administrator

This is directly from Princess, so don't shoot the messenger, please. FAQ: Cruise Answer Place : What To Bring : Princess Cruises

Click on Clothing Recommendations, and under Formal you'll find, "tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men."

So, it sounds like Princess does, at least ask for a jacket. Then again, it's listed as a suggestion, not a requirement -- and BritChris' experience echoes that.

So, I'd say to bring the jacket, wear it into the dining room, and either unbutton it when you sit down or follow the lead of the others. No reason why the same jacket can't be worn on both formal nights. I've actually worn the same gown on both formal nights.

Tags
2013, alaska, alaskan, code, cruise, dress, formal, forum, nifgt, night, nights, pack, princess, reviews, wear