Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Default Princess adds new member level to Captain's Circle loyalty program
A new member level has been added to the Princess Captain's Circle program. Press Release
Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 AM

I can't believe they inserted another lower level considering the upper Elite level has so many members. They desperately need another upper level to acknowledge the most Elite cruisers.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Royal Caribbean did both when they added the Pinnacle Club level which is very hard to achieve, but also added a new lower tier called Emerald. It spread things out a bit, at least for a while.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 AM

I asked the Captains Circle Host on the Emerald why they created another division on the lower category & she thought that people needed more incentive in that area to spur future sales. Evidently they're not concerned with retaining sales on the upper end although I did hear a lot of complaints from people with high number of days.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 PM
I get the feeling that they assume once you reach Elite, you're hooked and don't need any further incentives.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-mattox View Post
I get the feeling that they assume once you reach Elite, you're hooked and don't need any further incentives.
That's true but even if they recognized the upper level of Elite with nothing more than a special pin & different colored card it wouldn't cost them anything & might make a few people feel as though they were more appreciated.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Who believes the cruise lines could go to an "amount paid" type of criteria for status levels? In 2014 one of the major airlines is adding an "amount paid" as criteria to their frequent flier levels. IE: In order to be Silver Medallion you must have flown 25,000 miles OR 30 segments AND have spent at least $2500 on air tickets. Does anyone think the cruise lines could eventually go to that type of criteria? Do you think it would be a "fairer" way of recognizing those that book more expensive categories?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Administrator

As one who can travel during peak season only, I would love an "amount paid" component.

I think HAL is now doing this to a small extent as onboard purchases and shore excursions count toward cruise points in some way. But, it's confusing. I think that number of nights is the fairest way.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Sooner or later the cruise line loyalty programs are going to have to tighten up on criteria. They can't keep adding levels.

Royal Caribbean does have a way to reward more spending since they give double points if you book a suite category.

I wonder how much pushback a line would get if they said you had to either book a suite and/or spend a minimum of X dollars per cruise in onboard charges to get X points? I think it would backfire big time if they did what some companies do, such as Hilton Honors where you lose member levels if you don't maintain a certain amount of stays per year.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sooner or later the cruise line loyalty programs are going to have to tighten up on criteria. They can't keep adding levels.

Royal Caribbean does have a way to reward more spending since they give double points if you book a suite category.

I wonder how much pushback a line would get if they said you had to either book a suite and/or spend a minimum of X dollars per cruise in onboard charges to get X points? I think it would backfire big time if they did what some companies do, such as Hilton Honors where you lose member levels if you don't maintain a certain amount of stays per year.
I'd bet on it backfiring also. On our recent cruise we were at the captains cocktail party & I talked to a few couples about it & got the distinct impression that as more traveled passengers we spend less & less on each trip. Not many drinks, no pictures, no ship tours, no DVD's and usually longer trips without booking the more expensive cabins. We're all immune to the ships come-on's for extras & know how to get maximum value for our buck.

Tags
captains, carnival, circle, cruise, cruises, elite, frequent, levels, lines, loyaly, members, membership, princess, recognized, traveler