Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Caribbean Princess Dry Dock May 2014 (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/39946-caribbean-princess-dry-dock-may-2014-a.html)

J and S 03-19-2014 12:13 PM

Caribbean Princess Dry Dock May 2014

Caribbean is in for a freshen up in May for 12 days and adding 4 cabins in a perculiar place on Caribe deck.

I wonder if anyone knows what is being done as I was watching you tube earlier and Kevin Kelly from supercruise.net stated that $14 million dollars was being spent and made it sound like everything was being done?

Dave 03-20-2014 12:50 PM

My understanding is they are just doing routine things like new carpets, drapes, bedding, mechanical overhauls for engines, painting, and adding those new cabins. No new public venues are being added.

J and S 05-18-2014 01:16 PM

Hi Dave. So it's been freshened up to look like new?

Dave 05-18-2014 08:01 PM

The ship appears to be back in service. LIVE! Caribbean Princess Webcam

RichC 02-27-2015 10:26 AM

I just saw this post from 2014 and just returned on the CB last week. It certainly needs another dry dock this year for sure, Lots of items need total replacement. It's a tired ship in need of refreshment real soon.

Dave 02-27-2015 10:40 AM

Rich,

It's curious that the Princess website says the last refurb was done in 2011, not 2014. I lost track of this but wonder if last year's was canceled?

RichC 02-28-2015 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 301021)
Rich,

It's curious that the Princess website says the last refurb was done in 2011, not 2014. I lost track of this but wonder if last year's was canceled?

Don't know but I'd bet it was last done in 2011 from the appearance of numerous items....flattened cushions in the Piazza chairs, broken trays in the show lounge chairs, showers in disrepair at the Lotus pool, wave machine broken, broken chairs around the Lotus pool, MUTS blankets gone altogether (so they offered beach towels instead- I was tole they only have 25 left & don't want to put those out so not to start a riot) and just general wearing of almost everything else.
No washcloths some of the time. (the cabin stewards can't get them for some reason)
They ran out of the shot glasses in wine wine tasting event.
They were constantly cleaning the best they could but when items have to be replaced cleaning can't solve all the problems.
We still had a good cruise- don't think it was a total disaster but I'm certain the ship will look much better after a good remake very shortly.
OH -I forgot to mention that we had to detour the port side of our deck on the Caribe deck for 2 days due to the stench of a sewage leak. I piety the people staying in cabins nearby. It was that bad.
Amazingly the problem was fixed one day & you couldn't tell there was ever a problem.

On the good side the food was great with only a few items being so-so, the crew was very attentive & friendlily, elevators quick, dining service good and efficient, bar service great (even though many people had the unlimited drink cards) entertainment was typically Princess and decent, guest entertainers were good except for one singer we didn't care for & walked out early, varied activities to fill the day were sufficient, movies were shown as often as they could allow but on the TV's we keep missing the end or beginning as usual so we brought are own to play on the cabin TV. Our cabin steward was a dud & only did the minimum required. (no soap replaced when the bar was thin, 1 candy some nights, no lotions replaced, etc) Oh well, they all can't be great.

Dave 02-28-2015 07:12 AM

Odd about the wash cloths. On Royal Princess last April we had the same problem with a shortage. Our cabin steward said the supply was either in the cabins or in the laundry, that they didn't have any extra. So he had to wait for the laundry to be finished to stock the cabins.

RichC 03-03-2015 11:43 AM

On the Royal the towels were the worst we've ever experienced on any ship- any cruise line. They were just one step up from a burlap bag. We just asked our steward for extra pool towels each day to use instead.