Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 AM

I am going on a 35 night cruise next year & on my previous 2 cruises have suffered with "cabin Cough". I would like advice on remedies to alleviate/stop persisting problem. I found fresh pinnapple did help but i want a solution to cough prior to it starting. Any suggestions greatly received.
Reeney
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 AM

Reeney, I've never heard of "cabin cough." Perhaps the air in your previous cabin was dry and you should keep a glass of water handy on your next cruise. I've also never heard of pineapple being a remedy for anything, although I can see where it would help a dry throat.

Enjoy your next cruise!

Sandy
Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Hi reeney, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I, too, have never heard of "cabin cough". Is it from the salt air? Are you allergic to something in the cabin? Sure hope you enjoy Princess as much as we do, they're our favorite line, so far. 35 nights, how fantastic! Please let us know more about this "cabin cough". Best wishes!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I also have never heard of this; but it sounds like either an allergy (possibly down in the pillows or douvet) or prolonged exposure to air conditioning--dry throat. You might try asking for a foam pillow and wool blanket, and if you have a balcony cabin, try leaving the balcony door open as much as posible. Other than that, tea with honey and lemon and any kind of lozenges that will keep your throat moist.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I get dry throat in the cabins so I leave the lid off the ice bucket at night it seems to help get some moisture in the air
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 AM

thanks to Sandy, penny3333, f-mattox & lht28. "Cabin cough" is a name given to a dry persistant cough that alot of people seemed to have on my previous 2 cruises (P & O). I think it is from the air conditioning througout the ships & seems to be very drying. Pineapple has anti bacterial properties & i'm not real keen on sucking lozengers all day long. Does anyone have any thoughts or success with any products to keep mucuos membranes of the throat & nose from drying out? cheers Reeney.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 AM

Well, I use saline when I can't get the real thing. They sell it in any drug store or supermarket. It's a bottle of salt water, you just squirt a couple of times a day. I use it up here in the winter when the heat is on all the time. We also have a humidifier in the house. I've never had problems on a cruise, probably because I try to stay outside as much as possible. It's ALWAYS too cold inside for me. (I'm a weenie). You might want to give the saline a try, it's natural and not expensive.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 PM

I've never heard of cabin cough either. However I've never been a cruise longer than 7 days yet. Congrats, on the 35 day cruise! I use the Saline Nasal Spray for my nose in the winter that Penny mentioned. It keeps the nasal passages moisturized, and is all natural. If you have a dry nose you are more susceptible to picking up air borne spread illnesses as well. I have to use it to prevent nose bleeds.

Dwayne
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 AM

Cabin cough can be an allergic/ viral condition. Is it post nasal drip that makes you cough, dry mouth from increase alcohol intake, or reflux from eating rich food? Do you wake up hoarse and your throat is sore? Basically, the saline rinses will help the sinuses. Neti-pot sold in pharmacies can help. If you have reflux try eating earlier in the night and using more pillows to sleep on. You could consider Tums for that. And above all wash your hands or use hand sanitizers frequently especially before eating.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:40 AM

Hi LindaNP, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
air, blanket, cabin, cope, cough, coughing, coughs, cruise, cruises, cruising, dry, humidifier, ship, ships, wool