Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2004, 04:00 PM

Greetings :-)

My wife and I are considering booking a 15 day round trip cruise to Hawaii out of Los Angeles this coming Jan. 05 on the Island Princess cruise ship. We have been on a 5 day Carribean cruise before and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, my question and concern, is about the possibility of "heavy seas" on the Pacific ocean. I watched a program one evening on Mega Cargo ships in the Pacific Ocean and it made reference to this aspect of "often bumpy rides", during the show. I think we could possibly handle a day or two of hefty motion, but any more than that and I think it would get to us. Any input to this question or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Paul
Old 10-24-2004, 04:00 PM

Greetings :-)

My wife and I are considering booking a 15 day round trip cruise to Hawaii out of Los Angeles this coming Jan. 05 on the Island Princess cruise ship. We have been on a 5 day Carribean cruise before and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, my question and concern, is about the possibility of "heavy seas" on the Pacific ocean. I watched a program one evening on Mega Cargo ships in the Pacific Ocean and it made reference to this aspect of "often bumpy rides", during the show. I think we could possibly handle a day or two of hefty motion, but any more than that and I think it would get to us. Any input to this question or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Paul
Old 10-25-2004, 07:13 PM

HI
I did Hawaii to Tahiti on the Regal Princess, cruising in April. NO problems at all with rough seas.
Have an excellent cruise
Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 10-27-2004, 12:28 PM

January is probably the most likely month for huge swells in the northern Pacific, but even then, it may only happen a couple of days during January, if at all. I have made several crossing on this itinerary without problem, but it could happen at any time during the winter months (November 15th or so, to the middle of February).

The swells are generally caused by huge storms in the northern Pacific that create the large swells. However, they are usually evenly spaced and not difficult to navigate, just big.

I wouldn't cancel a cruise based on the possibility that it could happen. As a surfer, we welcome these swells and they are all to infrequent, at best.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 AM

We did Ensenada MX to Hawaii on the Crown Princess one January. The trick is, like Tom wrote, it depends on your weather. We had rough weather, stormy the first couple of days and our ship was smaller and older than yours. It rocked and rolled visibly for 3 days. Some of us did get seasick, but it only lasted the first day til they got their sea legs. If you take otc or prescription meds they generally work well (check with your doctor, to make sure they are safe for you). Ginger does too, get it in capsules. If not, go to the medical center and get a shot. Most people reported they sleep for 12 hours then feel great.

Really, it was worth it. The feeling of being truly in the middle of nowhere is incredible, and the deep ocean is indescribably beautiful. We saw whales, dolphins frolicking, and flying fish jumping out of white capped deep blue water. Big puffy clouds, and water, 360 degrees around, like we were the only humans in existance. It was sooo relaxing, by the time we got to Hawaii we were ready to explore. And what a great way to see the islands---a bit of each.

One disclaimer, I was in my mid 30's on this cruise and the average age on Hawaii trips is old-very old (about 80, honest). The music was all 1930's and 40's stuff and the comedians told geriatric jokes. So if you are young and entertainment is important to you, go to Mexico or the Carribean instead

Have a great cruise!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
ocean, pacific, review, south